Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Not very good

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1546969382894.jpeg

1546969408776.jpeg

This site shows the pit and the shoring in better detail. It looks like a substantial portion of the concrete that is poured with the steel pile is carved out so to slide in the laggings. Probably around 50% of the concrete is removed so to expose the steel while the other half is embedded into the dirt. The wide gaps between each of the pile, I still don't understand whether there is concrete there or in this case, there is no concrete so it is just the wood members filling in that span to keep the pit stable as they dig down. At some point once the looser layer of grade is removed and things get a bit harder with the more packed sediments, will the shoring change as well..

Nice progress! This one always reminds me that Co-op is a better development anchor than anything ever devised by city policy. The city should develop a partnership where all LRT stations are integrated inside a Co-op if it wants to see it's TOD policies get some real traction ;)

Nice progress! This one always reminds me that Co-op is a better development anchor than anything ever devised by city policy. The city should develop a partnership where all LRT stations are integrated inside a Co-op if it wants to see it's TOD policies get some real traction ;)

Ya having LRT with retail is a great policy. Whenever I visit Hong Kong I always liked how all the MTR stations are below major shopping malls.

Except the co-op TOD redevelopment designs (particularly Brentwood and Oakridge) aren't exactly, how do I put it, ideal...

Except the co-op TOD redevelopment designs (particularly Brentwood and Oakridge) aren't exactly, how do I put it, ideal...
No they aren't, but I think that has more to do with the execution rather than fundamentals. It's like Co-op knows they are onto something big, but can't quite figure out what to do about it to capitalize (kind of makes sense given they specialize in groceries, not property development).

Even Co-op Midtown was poorly executed with the quasi-suburban site design coupled with Ugliest Tower Award Winner from 2005-ish. Yet it has helped attract 2,000 units of development over the decade around it.

Groceries are a means to cash flow. The profit margins aren't worthwhile to forgo divesting in other things such as real estate holdings. They know what they are doing. It's just not up to our urban standards.

The Brentwood CO-OP plan isn't great, but I do think it makes a decent TOD anchor, and could transform the area. If they could only figure a way to articulate the store so they can have a connection through to the other part to Brentwood Mall, it would be really good.

Back