101 – 11th Avenue SE | 120.09m | 37s | Oxford Properties | Zeidler

Hi Again,

History Time! Not Sure How Far Back People Know the East Belt! I Do. Way Back in 80/81, There Was a Company From Toronto Called "Campeau Dvlpmnts". They Bought the Strip of Land Between Mcleod Trail North and 1st St. S.E. 15th Ave., S.E. on the South Up to 12 Ave, S.E, on the North, It Was the Origional Plans to Put In Various Office Towers, The 1982 DEPRESSION Hit and the Plans Dried Up Real Fast, For Years the Land Sat Empty .It was Known as the Campeau Lands, Until it Was Bought by Various Interests Within the Last 10 Yrs and Those 4 Condo Towers by Cove Dvlpmnts Went in on the South. North End Was Built into an Office Tower and Condo Tower, Not Sure Who it was as It Escapes Me Off Hand.. Just a Bit of History About the Areas.

Tnx.,
Operater.

Last edited:
Hi Again,

History Time! Not Sure How Far Back People Know the East Belt! I Do. Way Back in 80/81, There Was a Company From Toronto Called "Campeau Dvlpmnts". They Bought the Strip of Land Between Mcleod Trail North and 1st St. S.E. 15th Ave., S.E. on the South Up to 12 Ave, S.E, on the North, It Was the Origional Plans to Put In Various Office Towers, The 1982 DEPRESSION Hit and the Plans Dried Up Real Fast, For Years the Land Sat Empty .It was Known as the Campeau Lands, Until it Was Bought by Various Interests Within the Last 10 Yrs and Those 4 Condo Towers by Cove Dvlpmnts Went in on the South. North End Was Built into an Office Tower and Condo Tower, Not Sure Who it was as It Escapes Me Off Hand.. Just a Bit of History About the Areas.

Tnx.,
Operater.
Keynote Developments (Balboa Land Investments) built the office/condo block between 11 and 12 Ave SE. One Properties (WAM) owns most of the block between 12 & 13 Ave.

Haven't hear that name in a while. Robert Campeau was pretty much a Fred Trump type or a combination of Fred and Donald. He made the political connections himself but he was as free spending as Donald.

Didn't Campeau go bankrupt in the end? I remember some bad press surrounding him, but don't recall the details. There is a building on 14th street NW that used to be called Campeau Place (Now Campana Place) which he developed.

Image10.jpg

Attachments

• Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 685
Yup. All those guys from the free spending 1980s went bankrupt at least once. Pension funds than swooped in. It's a bygone era that hopefully will come around full circle. People are still throwing good money into bad real estate deals. It just isn't in office towers. The things I've read about Campeau. He was a complete nut.

Campeau was a rags to riches to rags kind of guy. Built a lot of real estate but then went overboard with his takeovers of Allied and Federated Department stores (Bloomingdales along with many other retailers). Too much debt and then it all collapsed. In Toronto we have Scotia Plaza as a good monument to his madness. @maestro

ScotiaPlaza1.jpg

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Campeau

Attachments

• ScotiaPlaza1.jpg
    ScotiaPlaza1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:
One of the finest Po Mo towers in the world, in my opinion.

Has anyone heard anything about this project? From my understanding the DP got approved but they're not moving ahead right now?

Hi Group,
Were there Not Two Dvlprs Interested in this Site? One is Oxford, but the Other Escapes me off hand.

Tnx
Operater

Back