Brentwood Commons | 85m | 24s | Casola Koppe

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
New proposal from Quarry Bay involving redevelopment of the CO-OP grocery store parcel. Fairly conceptual at the moment.

http://brentwoodcommons.ca/

mQ3qg42.jpg
Csb6mu6UIAIOT2J.jpg
Park-Courtyard-view-Coop.emf_.jpg
Image2.jpg

Attachments

• mQ3qg42.jpg
    mQ3qg42.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 4,062
  • Csb6mu6UIAIOT2J.jpg
    Csb6mu6UIAIOT2J.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 3,607
  • Park-Courtyard-view-Coop.emf_.jpg
    Park-Courtyard-view-Coop.emf_.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 3,566
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 3,200
Wow. This must fall under the auspices of the Brentwood ToD. If so, it must also be the biggest ToD success to date. Provided it goes forward. What stage are they at with the project?

I did a hand count of the floors on tower 1. I got 40. If built, this would have to be the tallest tower outside of downton.

You're the master SP! :cool:

Edit: Based on the place of prominence Co-op has on the project site, I have to assume this means that they're a partner in the development. Is this first?

Brentwood Commons Website said:
B1 Multi Residential Development and Office – 2 floors Calgary Co-op, 4 floors office, 34 floors residential

Seems to confirm my floor count.

Last edited:
Wow, that's aggressive! Not that I'm complaining, but I think there will be push back from the community. I used to live in Brentwood, and would be a supporter if I still lived there :) My only concern is the height of the 40 story tower. IMO it's too many floors, 30 is tall but still allows for some sunlight on Blackston Park.

I'm glad to see that another coming development leveraging the Brentwood LRT station. I am perfectly fine with the scale of it even the 40 story building is OK it's right near the edge of the development I don't think the shadowing would be too big of a deal.
The shadow map on The developer site shows the shadows and they don't look too bad .
That said I agree with Alwys Biking, I think there will be lots of opposition .

Another thought occured to me. The elevation of Brentwood is 1,115m. The elevation of downtown Calgary is 1,045m.

1,115m - 1,045m = 70m.

This thing is going to get 70 free meters of height relative to downtown. I'm guessing based on the heights of other ~40 storey buildings in Calgary that Brentwood Commons will be around 140m.

140m + 70m = 210m.

It's height + elevation is going to be comparable to the tallest echelon of buildings downtown. This sucker is going to have a tonne of prominence.

Interesting plan, I can't help but wonder if this is going to be a while before it gets built given that, the economy. I like the way they are integrating a grocery store in with the apartment towers that's cool :cool:

Excellent find! Apparently they are having open houses for the public, which I'm sure will be interesting to say the least haha. The buildings look generic, but my feeling is they are placeholders for more detailed designs to come later. Brentwood residents might not agree, but this is good for Brentwood and the area.

Does anybody know anything about the developer? I've never heard of Quarry bay.

I don't know anything about Quarry Bay. So I went poking around their website. http://qbiami.ca/

The only project of significance that they look to have done in Calgary is The Park. Which is the blue building at the corner of 2nd Street & 13th Ave SW. It's directly across Memorial Park from Park Point. I don't really know anything about the quality or story of that project. They've also done a project in Kelowna called Lake Placid by the looks of it.

It looks like they've got a pretty major partnership with Co-op. I'm not really sure about the nature of the relationship. Because on top of Brentwood Commons, they also have something in mind for Dalhousie. That may deserve a thread of its own.

Interesting plan, I can't help but wonder if this is going to be a while before it gets built given that, the economy. I like the way they are integrating a grocery store in with the apartment towers that's cool :cool:

I hope that because of this Co-op partnership, they'll be more inclined to push forward. Despite the economic situation. Co-op is the definition of a long term Calgary centric company.

Last edited:
I'd like to see more of these grocery store/condo combo developments in Calgary. It only makes sense right? Especially the ones like Brentwood that are adjacent to an LRT station. The Dalhousie Station that has a Safeway could do the same thing.

I'd like to see more of these grocery store/condo combo developments in Calgary. It only makes sense right? Especially the ones like Brentwood that are adjacent to an LRT station. The Dalhousie Station that has a Safeway could do the same thing.

The Dalhousie site theyre looking at redevoloping isn't too far off either. It's behind Sir Winston Churchill highschool. Quite close to Northland Mall actually. Gee, if these two projects go through and the Northland Mall redevelopment. This area of town will be unrecognizable.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that another coming development leveraging the Brentwood LRT station. I am perfectly fine with the scale of it even the 40 story building is OK it's right near the edge of the development I don't think the shadowing would be too big of a deal.
The shadow map on The developer site shows the shadows and they don't look too bad .
That said I agree with Alwys Biking, I think there will be lots of opposition .
There will be huge opposition to the tall tower. Neighbors in the area are complaining about trees being planted at the park next to this. They'll go apeshit over a 35 storey tower haha.

What is it called "commons" when it's a private residential building?

I know, such a cliche kind of name. It might change as time goes along, but I'm not holding my breath. I would rather they call it Brentwood Station, it 's cliche too, but at least it's beside the Brentwood Station, so it does fit the bill.

Back