News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Arts Commons | ?m | ?s | CMLC |

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Might as well start thread for this as it's progressing along.

From the article.
Phase 1 of the project will involve building a $240-million facility at the west end of Olympic Plaza that will feature a 1,200-seat theatre, two smaller theatres, rehearsal space and an elevated corridor that will connect it to the existing building across Eighth Avenue.
Construction is expected to start in 2024.
Phase 2 will start once the first phase is complete and involves the revitalization of the existing Arts Commons space.

Image30.jpg

My guess is the new theatre at least initially is almost a ‘decanting space’. Then can do work on the other side theatre by theatre.

My guess is the new theatre at least initially is almost a ‘decanting space’. Then can do work on the other side theatre by theatre.

They will be demolishing the current dumpster fire of a building between the Burns and Public buildings, and rebuilding it as an entirely new space.

Is this the actual design, or just a concept to guide the design? Kind of surprised this is going ahead with the current state of City finances...

It's just concept now. I think we thought it was officially because it is by Bing Thom and has been around for years, but the city is holding a design competition.

We had the privilege of attending the ACT procurement meeting today. CMLC stated that the information that was covered in the meeting will be posted to the CMLC consultant opportunity page in the coming days. For me to say that it is a big one is probably an understatement. They will be looking to work with certain synergies being proposed for Stephens Avenue. That virtual open house was on October 20 I believe.

It's great to hear progress on the project. Crazy to think that 3 art projects are likely going to be happen at around the same time: Arts Commons, Glenbow, and Contemporary Calgary. All of which are long overdue.

Did you get any insight into the design?
Not with any great specificity. Although, I should point out that the scope will include preliminary design, so that may be based on some the concept and master planning that was done prior. This one has been in the hopper for quite some time. There are some other interesting notes regarding Olympic Plaza, but I'd rather let CMLC put out their info package first, before describing everything. Hope that is ok.

Back