ALT Hotel University District | 48.77m | 15s | Groupe Germain

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Our first look at the University District Alt Hotel from a promotional imagine of August. The Alt is on the left of the image. 156 Rooms.

fullsizeoutput_707.jpeg

upload_2018-3-5_16-13-28-jpg.136349

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_707.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_707.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 5,058
Last edited by a moderator:
Not too shabby. Podium is a weak point. I'm liking the medium rise condo a little less. It's still good.

I'm just really thrilled with the pace of proposals, launches, and construction in the University District. East Village 2.0? :)

I'm just really thrilled with the pace of proposals, launches, and construction in the University District. East Village 2.0? :)
It has great potential. I only wish there was some sort of long term plan to connect University District, and the University in general, over to Brentwood TOD. Maybe that is something already in the works?

It has great potential. I only wish there was some sort of long term plan to connect University District, and the University in general, over to Brentwood TOD. Maybe that is something already in the works?

Well there certainly is a plan to connect the University District to the University of Calgary, but definitely not to the Brentwood TOD(s). The University's long term plan is for better integration with University Station. The integration of UD and U of C certainly isn't great, but with the dumpster fire of planning that is the U of C, it actually isn't too badly done.

It would be up to the people planning the University Research Park to connect the Uni area to the Brentwood TOD.

Is University Research park run by the Uni, or is it privately run per individual parcel? It would be nice if they could build some sort of retail hightstreet type boulevard between the Uni and Brentwood, and also one to the University LRT station too. I guess getting something built through the research park might not be doable.

There is. Progress is slow, as you can imagine given the different large institutions that are at the table, who are all accountable back to different masters, and as soon as something may be looking like a good preliminary idea, you all of a sudden have a line passing through the lobby of the cancer centre (not that that happened, just that to avoid things like that happening things take time). An update on the project in 2017 which noted an estimated delivery timeline of 2021 said:
Functional planning is in progress, with multiple stakeholders involved (funding partners are University of Calgary and Alberta Health Services). University of Calgary initiated Long Range Development Plan (2016-2017). Public engagement on results of study will take place in 2017.​

Also I seem to recall the money allocated for the initial circulation stage being reallocated because of need elsewhere and other projects being more ready to go. Though the change didn't go over the best, here are some letters from land holders and CAs in the area: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=24234

A short report from 2014:
https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=24001

The North Crosstown BRT Route will help meet some of the initial objectives.
upload_2018-3-6_9-58-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-6_9-58-51.png
    upload_2018-3-6_9-58-51.png
    508.3 KB · Views: 1,494
Is University Research park run by the Uni, or is it privately run per individual parcel? It would be nice if they could build some sort of retail hightstreet type boulevard between the Uni and Brentwood, and also one to the University LRT station too. I guess getting something built through the research park might not be doable.
It is city, provincial, federal, 99 year leases to the university from the province, and a tiny private parcel currently.

Back