• Put underground

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
As many have probably heard, the city is looking at options for grade separation at 25th ave SE. They have unveiled three concepts. Concept A, Concept B, and Concept C

Concept A

Concept_A_Elevated_Alignment_Aerial_Render_-_reduced.jpg

Concept_A_Elevated_Alignment_Street_View_-__reduced.jpg
Concept_A.jpg

Attachments

• Concept_A.jpg
    Concept_A.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 890
  • Concept_A_Elevated_Alignment_Street_View_-__reduced.jpg
    Concept_A_Elevated_Alignment_Street_View_-__reduced.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 645
  • Concept_A_Elevated_Alignment_Aerial_Render_-_reduced.jpg
    Concept_A_Elevated_Alignment_Aerial_Render_-_reduced.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 692
Concept B

Concept_B_Flyover_Aerial_Render_-__reduced.jpg

Concept_B_Elevated_roadway_Street_View_-__reduced.jpg
Concept_B.jpg

Attachments

• Concept_B.jpg
    Concept_B.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 873
  • Concept_B_Elevated_roadway_Street_View_-__reduced.jpg
    Concept_B_Elevated_roadway_Street_View_-__reduced.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 543
  • Concept_B_Flyover_Aerial_Render_-__reduced.jpg
    Concept_B_Flyover_Aerial_Render_-__reduced.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 712
Concept C
Concept_C_At_Grade_Aerial_Render_-_reduced.jpg

Concept_C_At_Grade_Street_view_-__reduced.jpg
Concept_C_.jpg

Attachments

• Concept_C_.jpg
    Concept_C_.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 895
  • Concept_C_At_Grade_Street_view_-__reduced.jpg
    Concept_C_At_Grade_Street_view_-__reduced.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 684
  • Concept_C_At_Grade_Aerial_Render_-_reduced.jpg
    Concept_C_At_Grade_Aerial_Render_-_reduced.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 727
Concept A is the most promising to me, but I just hope the cost isn't too much.
Concept B is interesting from an engineering perspective. If they can somehow make the flyover decent looking, I think it's the most promising for redevelopment potential. With large lots all on one side of 25th, it's easier to get a development going.

I liked the buildings and elevated station of A the most, but the road alignment of B was my preference.

I feel like A is by far the most urban and pedestrian friendly option, so I chose it.

I'll go with none of the above. Bury it!
That would be the best all around. I chose C on account of cost considerations. It accomplishes much the same as the others, but would be much cheaper. If the elevation went all the way past the stampede grounds, I would go with A. all things equal, burying it would be my choice.

I added the option to put underground. Keep in mind the city isn't offering it as an option, but it's there in the poll.

I would prefer to have it underground, but given the city is only giving us the three choices I'm going with option C

None of these options are particularly terrific.

Options B and C have the same problem, in that they assume that Macleod Trail can be pedestrianized, but it can't be along the south-of-Beltline stretch. Nobody's going to be hanging out on the lawn between Macleod and the tracks, as illustrated in B, so that's going to be a dead zone.

Option A protects pedestrians best, but I worry that the under-bridge area will also become a dead zone, particularly in the winter. Yes, these are illustrations, but think about all of the other under-the-bridge areas in the city and how dead they are: East Village, below the Sunalta overpass, under Centre Street…

Option A is probably the best compromise, but it's also the most expensive of the three, I'm sure. I like that it creates a barrier between Macleod and the more pedestrian train area.

None of these options are particularly terrific.

Options B and C have the same problem, in that they assume that Macleod Trail can be pedestrianized, but it can't be along the south-of-Beltline stretch. Nobody's going to be hanging out on the lawn between Macleod and the tracks, as illustrated in B, so that's going to be a dead zone.

Option A protects pedestrians best, but I worry that the under-bridge area will also become a dead zone, particularly in the winter. Yes, these are illustrations, but think about all of the other under-the-bridge areas in the city and how dead they are: East Village, below the Sunalta overpass, under Centre Street…

Option A is probably the best compromise, but it's also the most expensive of the three, I'm sure. I like that it creates a barrier between Macleod and the more pedestrian train area.

Hahaha, I didn't catch how many people were chilling on the median in the B rendering either. I don't get a very pedestrian vibe from the B layout overall though. Too me it's just a weird quirt of the person who did the render.

Back