101 – 11th Avenue SE | 120.09m | 37s | Oxford Properties | Zeidler

Not a fan of the plaza component, we have enough of those dead spaces around downtown already. Rest looks decent, towers are kinda basic but not bad.

If there is retail and patios, the plaza could work out. I like the idea of breaking up the block by having a walkway through the property. Not crazy about it's treatment of 11 and 12 Aves.

Hi,
I will B interested to see when this Project goes ahead - if It does. Its Land
that is Worth a Lot in Terms of Investment and Development in the Long
Term. I also Notice that Some of the Commercial Parts in these Towers
have been Taken Out. I Honesty Feel this is poor Planing as there is Room
for some Commercial Dvlpmnt in Terms of Say Dr's Offices, Dental Say
Small Lawyer's Offices, a Bank maybe. You Name It. Opportunities are there
Why Pass Them all Up.- Tnx,

Operator ... currently there is hundreds of thousands of square feet of vacant office and retail space in the Beltline. Much of this is in older buildings where the rents would be more affordable for doctor's offices, clinics, restaurants, small retailers etc. The way on-line banking is trending, there is no need for more bank branches in the inner city either.There simply is no demand to support more commercial space.

Operator ... currently there is hundreds of thousands of square feet of vacant office and retail space in the Beltline. Much of this is in older buildings where the rents would be more affordable for doctor's offices, clinics, restaurants, small retailers etc. The way on-line banking is trending, there is no need for more bank branches in the inner city either.There simply is no demand to support more commercial space.

Banks will always have branches. Not because online banking isn't growing, but because banks have so much damn money to throw around, just having street presence is worth the rent.

Banks will always have branches. Not because online banking isn't growing, but because banks have so much damn money to throw around, just having street presence is worth the rent.
Banks also have to be staffed and that is where the real cost comes in. The banks have shareholders to report to just like every other corporation.

It'll be interesting to see which way the bank branch trend goes. About 20 years ago, all 6 major Canadian banks started to phase out branches, but the trend reversed itself about 10 years ago and all 6 major banks have actually added branches in recent years.

For whatever reason there are people who want to use the branches, despite the fact virtually everything can be done on-line or over the phone. Oddly enough, it's not just old people who want the branches. One interesting demographic is that recent immigrants are heavy users of branches. I have no idea why, except maybe it's a cultural trust thing....much easier to trust a person?

It'll be interesting to see which way the bank branch trend goes. About 20 years ago, all 6 major Canadian banks started to phase out branches, but the trend reversed itself about 10 years ago and all 6 major banks have actually added branches in recent years.

For whatever reason there are people who want to use the branches, despite the fact virtually everything can be done on-line or over the phone. Oddly enough, it's not just old people who want the branches. One interesting demographic is that recent immigrants are heavy users of branches. I have no idea why, except maybe it's a cultural trust thing....much easier to trust a person?

Anecdotally, if you need something complicated to be done, it's sometimes easier to go in and talk to a person and get it done right away than waiting over the phone, and we all know bank websites suck and are endlessly confusing.

Residential still moving forward despite the economy?
This is a very late replay to the question from 5 years ago, but amazingly enough residential has been going strong the whole time. Despite the relentless downturn in the economy over the past 5 years numerous projects have been built or started, and still keep starting as we've seen just recently.

I really need this building to happen. An entire city block of surface parking just disappearing. Pleeeeease.

Back