101 – 11th Avenue SE | 120.09m | 37s | Oxford Properties | Zeidler

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Zeidler BKDI recently submitted a development permit to the City of Calgary for a two tower, 568 unit residential development in Calgary's Beltline district. The project features two residential towers, two levels of retail, and an amenities space on the third level.

North Tower
355 units (10 per floor)
37 floors
120 Meters in height
946 meters sq retail space

South Tower
213 units (12 per floor)
19 floors
68 Meters
481 meters sq of retail space

c1.jpg
c2.jpg
c3.jpg
c4.jpg

Last edited:
If all of these projects around that part of the Beltline get built there will be a massive boost in density to that area, but I can't help but wonder what it will do to street life have a big cluster of 30 something floor towers like that.

I can't help but wonder what it will do to street life have a big cluster of 30 something floor towers like that

That is such a good question. And it's not just the animation piece, it's also the wind patterns thing that happens when you build so many towers together. I like to imagine that planners have definitely pre-solved these issues.

@Always_Biking I'm not sure I follow your concern; if these buildings are well designed at the street-level (i.e., with retail and welcoming facades) as well as bringing hundreds of new residents into the area, I can't imagine how they could be anything but beneficial to street life.

It's too bad they got rid of the huge retail podium, but as long as they have mostly active street fronts, this should be a good addition to an area that really needs more redevelopment.

It's too bad they got rid of the huge retail podium, but as long as they have mostly active street fronts, this should be a good addition to an area that really needs more redevelopment.
They might still have a larger retail section on the east half of the lot. Here's hoping.

@Always_Biking I'm not sure I follow your concern; if these buildings are well designed at the street-level (i.e., with retail and welcoming facades) as well as bringing hundreds of new residents into the area, I can't imagine how they could be anything but beneficial to street life.
The retail on the base of the building is good, but it's having so many tall towers together in one spot. Right now with 4 highrise residential towers in that area I sometimes find that area to be kinda shady and cool, with a coldish concrete feel. The three new proposals for that area would add 7 new towers in a three block area. The area might become a cold concrete jungle when finished.

I would prefer if the towers were in the 12-20 floor range, but I totally agree about the new added residents though.

Good news such as it is.

I missed this thread when it made it's first pass around. I have to laugh at the comments about street life in this neck of the woods. Because as it stands there very much isn't any.

I kind of agree with always Biking, the extra units and thus residents will be good for the area, but I worry that the east end of the Beltline will become a sea of dark shadowing high rise towers. The next two parcels to the south have proposals for 5 tall towers in total. I would prefer 10 low rise towers myself.

You are dead right about the street life....or lack thereof.

I like it better than 6th & 10th, which it is often compared to. I has a little more character. The Guardian towers are 44 floors and 147m in height. I wonder how this will compare if it goes forward.

Back