News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Transit

From the article
as of September 2023, ridership levels have surged beyond expectations, standing at more than 92 per cent of pre-pandemic ridership. The CTrain network, in particular, has fully rebounded, boasting a remarkable 100 per cent ridership recovery

Great to see 100% of pre-pandemic ridership for the LRT. Especially when you consider how many people who work downtown now work remotely, or hybrid. Literally very person I know who works downtown in an office is either remote or hybrid, I would have expected the numbers to be lower.

Last edited:

From the article
as of September 2023, ridership levels have surged beyond expectations, standing at more than 92 per cent of pre-pandemic ridership. The CTrain network, in particular, has fully rebounded, boasting a remarkable 100 per cent ridership recovery

Great to see 100% of pre-pandemic ridership for the LRT. Especially when you consider how many people who work downtown now work remotely, or hybrid. Literally very person I know who works downtown in an office is either remote or hybrid, I would have expected the numbers to be lower.
Probably helped by the really high level of in-migration in the last couple years. Calgary also accepted a high number of refugees which probably use public transit at a higher rate than native born populations.
Does the city publish ridership stats by station/ routes anywhere?

Probably helped by the really high level of in-migration in the last couple years. Calgary also accepted a high number of refugees which probably use public transit at a higher rate than native born populations.
Does the city publish ridership stats by station/ routes anywhere?
It's probably a combination of a some things. The increase in population since 2019, which also has seen a large increase in immigration population would be one for sure. The city also changed to allow children under 12 to ride free, which may have helped add to the numbers. I don't ride the LRT often, but I've noticed a huge change from when I used to ride it back between 1990 and 2005. It was super busy at rush hour but dead on off peak hours. Over the years the amount of traffic has increased somewhat during peak hours, but it's most noticeable on non-peak hours. The times I've taken it on non-peak hours, the cars have been full, which lots of traffic getting on/off at stations like North Hill, Westbrook, Sunnyside, Brentwood, Chinook, etc..

It's a slow evolution, but the system finally feels like it's moving away from a commuter train for downtown workers, to more of a transit system. As long as development keeps happening around LRT stations it will continue that trend.

From the article

This is great, it's about time!

I noticed that they are hoping to increase service on the Blue Line to come closer to that of the Red Line as far as frequency, which is nice for that line considering the state it's currently in, but what I was hoping to see them say is focusing on better frequency and reliability on the Red Line. The reality is that this line is and will continue to be the backbone of the network.

Outside of the few hours considered C-Train rush hour, they're still running 10 minute headways. For me this is a massive deterrent to using transit as anything but simply a 9-5 commuter rail. I get to the station and the train is leaving just as I get there and now I have to wait 10-15 minutes for another one to arrive and I only know that if the status screens are actually reporting that day which seems to be the case only 70% of the time at best. The transition to more outdoor minimalist style stations that are something like a high-floor street car stop makes this wait even less appealing in bad weather which is 6-7 months of the year.

I've been using the C-Train for certain weekly commutes for a year and a half now and I thought all of this was fine and I could put up with it until I went to Vancouver last week and was reintroduced to the SkyTrain. For those that don't know, the difference is even if driving wasn't a pain in the ass in that city, I would probably use that train anyway because it's so fast and convenient and runs at 3 minute headway for most of the day so the time spent between arriving at the station and leaving on a train is very little. Of course a LRT will never be as efficient as a an automated subway train, but at least 5 minute headway outside of rush hour would really make me more interested in using the thing. I think even if I wasn't using the park & ride lot and lived in some kind of TOD and used the C-Train from that, there could have been scenarios in the past for me where I would arrive at the station, see the train leaving as I get there, check the sign and see it says something like 14 minutes for the next train, and figure maybe I have enough time to go back up to my hypothetical apartment and do something to kill the time such as, I don't know, take a dump, and come back closer to when the train arrives.

I was excited for 4 car trains back in the day, but I find myself wishing the city had spent the money on just increasing capacity by increasing service instead.

I was in Vancouver back in May and also noticed the more frequently schedule on the sky train. I have to admit it’s nice arrive at a station and know that if you miss the train another one will be along shortly.
Maybe for the city could experiment by having single or dual car trains, but more frequent service outside of peak hours? Having single cars would require more drivers and costs unfortunately, and if they did that, would it actually increase ridership? IDK.

TBH even after using other metros from around world with higher require frequencies I still don’t find the 10 minute frequencies a problem. If it’s cold out I use the app and time my walk over to the station. On warmer days I don’t mind waiting up to 10 minutes for the next train.

I was in Vancouver back in May and also noticed the more frequently schedule on the sky train. I have to admit it’s nice arrive at a station and know that if you miss the train another one will be along shortly.
Maybe for the city could experiment by having single or dual car trains, but more frequent service outside of peak hours? Having single cars would require more drivers and costs unfortunately, and if they did that, would it actually increase ridership? IDK.

TBH even after using other metros from around world with higher require frequencies I still don’t find the 10 minute frequencies a problem. If it’s cold out I use the app and time my walk over to the station. On warmer days I don’t mind waiting up to 10 minutes for the next train.
Then is the future of the C-Train going to just continue to be work-commute oriented with consistent service only during rush hour or in a more transit oriented future are people going to have to put up with building their lives around a (becoming unreliable) 10-15 min headway schedule?

If I don't live walking distance from the train station and have to drive to it or rely on a bus that may or may not come every 45 min, this makes timing even more difficult, or do those of us that do not live with in walking distance of transit not get included in these considerations? In that case why not just forget transit and drive?

And then the number of times I have seen 2-3 empty trains go by the opposite direction while waiting for mine; perhaps some considerations could be made and some money could be saved there that could be used for better frequency (this may lead to a more complicated schedule of short-terming trains).

All I know is that I do not consider it as a real option still outside of one certain commute across the city for this reason and also due to public safety, both things world class systems like SkyTrain are considerably better at. Things like this contribute to it costing me 1 hr to do a trip i can do in 25 min in my car despite one station being a 2 min drive from where I live and the other one being essentially on the property of where I am going. Well that and the fact that being on a train so packed that the doors won't close (causing delays) or not being able to get off at my station becomes a possibility. In that case why not just forget transit and drive?

When I was in Vancouver I was staying in an Air B&B in a predominantly detached home residential area where owning a car would still be ideal if not a given. I asked myself (and the others I was with), would I drive that much if I lived here. The answer honestly dramatically less than I do here. You want to know the best part? That house was farther from a train station than where I currently live and involved a walk to a bus stop (Vancouver busses are also much better and the lack of a paid driver cannot be an excuse for that fact) and a transfer at a train station. That would take 30 min to get downtown where driving the same trip would take 20 min. On the other hand a trip of similar distance from a similar area in Calgary that has a train station within 3km, and has a drive to downtown of about 8-9km, say Fairview, driving would also take almost 20 min, BUT transit would take 45 min unless you are lucky with exactly where you are going and time a 45 min head way bus schedule right. An extra 10 min is nothing, an extra almost half hour (mind you in a much colder city), that is a significant difference that begs the question, why not just forget transit and drive?

The problem then becomes how many of our population think that way especially in a city that has been predominantly car-centric. How do you ever build a system that you can expect everyone to use to replace the reliance on cars (as many people understandably so want) if driving is just objectively that much better for so many people still. Building more TOD won't take cars off the roads, it will either just increase the population of the city or just supply housing to the shortage that we currently have in Canada; you will still have an increasing number people living in areas where using transit is painfully time consuming and inaccessible. So what is the answer?

I feel like the mentality here and in some other cities is that they sit around and ask the question of what is the bare minimum we can do to make a system that works so that we can just beg people to use it or try to force them to by trying to make other modes less convenient. What they should be doing is asking how they can make a system that minimizes the added inconvenience over say driving (or exceeds it in convenience) based on it's own merit. In my humble opinion, this is what is wrong and 10-15 minute headways is a product of this thinking. I should not have my whole life be planned based an infrequent (and somewhat unreliable) transit schedule, aside from winter Calgary has been one of the better cities for quality of life, if I have been used to that for my whole life why give it up? Perhaps if we changed our approach here, we would see more people using transit late at night for example that aren't either be young adults that are blackout drunk or people doing drugs. Vancouver was always a fairly lousy city to try and drive in relatively speaking, they didn't always have the transit they do though. When they built it and people were used to live without it, they probably could've gotten away with making a system much worse than they have for much cheaper and gotten away with it, but they did not and I think it paid off for them now that people can't afford to drive or do anything there anymore, which is a reality probably on its way to cities like Calgary;.

To be fair, afaik weekend frequency on both lines has never been this high and lots of service was at risk of being cut back in 2019. With downtown employment dramatically down and tons of immigration there's been more focus on all-day all-week service so I think the momentum is slowly picking up for big improvements to both the LRT and bus system.

Was back on the bus this morning after riding my bike to work everyday from the start of April. It was nice to be able to sit and read on the warm, dry bus this morning. Going to miss how riding my bike woke me up and got me into the day but maybe I'll just get off the bus early and walk a bit to wake up.

Last edited:
Same thing happened for me today except the book thing as my train ride is just three stations. Gonna miss the bike ride waking me up a bit.

Funding approved today:
1700698654590.png

1700698717784.png

1700699176599.png

1700699193698.png

1700699068707.png

1700699134217.png

Attachments

• 1700698698525.png
    1700698698525.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: