News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

So I drove 24th yesterday in my car and I think something that is overlooked with that project is the impact narrowing the road has had on vehicle speed. So not only have we added bike infrastructure we also have effectively dropped the average speed to ~40 km/h improving the experience for all users (cars too IMO)
Funny you mention that, i was driving on bowness road yesterday through Montgomery and found myself doing 40km/h in that 50 zone as well. Im usually a 10 over kinda guy on typical calgary road

I've almost killed people on that stretch of Bowness Road, too many people pull over to the side and get out of their car into the driving lane without even looking. That's a downside of very narrow roads when people aren't used to them...
Goes back to the central issue - context.

In Calgary almost all residential, collector, arterial or main street road have too wide lanes for their urban context - which causes the issue of neighbourhood speeding as drivers "feel" safer at higher speeds, including speeds higher than the posted limit in residential areas. This is a hard perception to shake, but evidence and studies have long pointed to the opposite being true, wider roads are often more dangerous and lead to more collision in many urban contexts - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lanes-are-safer-and-still-move-plenty-of-cars

The reasons are straight-forward - because wide lanes encourage faster driving, any crash that does happen has increased severity due to increased typical speeds. Similarly, higher speeds mean less response time to avoid a collision. There's also limited evidence to suggest that wider lanes allow greater volume through-put in cities either.

Effectively the trade-off of wide roads in an urban context is a bad deal - in return for making some users (drivers) "feel" safer - we gain is no capacity benefit, increase actual dangerous conditions, increase the severity of the collisions that do happen, and have less real and perceived safety for all other users. That's before we get into the issues that the wide lane actually restricts the space for other things like trees, sidewalks, cycling paths, tax-paying private development.

Highways and truck routes are different contexts - it's far more appropriate to have wider and predictable lanes on limited access roads or roads with uniquely large traffic. Montgomery and Banff Trail aren't these situations.

Last edited:
Also goes to show how much people pay attention to what they are doing. It's like that Hyundai commercial that locks the door when the girl goes to get out into traffic. The line "and when the unexpected happens..." kills me since people should always look for a car when they get out into traffic, there's nothing unexpected about that. People just aren't good at paying attention these days, and when that inevitably causes an issue, they look for someone else to blame lol.

Also goes to show how much people pay attention to what they are doing. It's like that Hyundai commercial that locks the door when the girl goes to get out into traffic. The line "and when the unexpected happens..." kills me since people should always look for a car when they get out into traffic, there's nothing unexpected about that. People just aren't good at paying attention these days, and when that inevitably causes an issue, they look for someone else to blame lol.
Always relevant here is the process safety or the "swiss cheese" model:

1657561143740.png

The hazard is driving a powerful, moving, heavy vehicle around other powerful, moving and heavy vehicles in a busy urban environment with people, bicycles and property everywhere.

Starting from left to right, in Calgary road design, we historically have set engineering controls for safety too permissively (e.g. we design most roads to be faster than they need to be ). This creates a bigger hole in the first layer. Wide roads are a big part, but also slip lanes are everywhere for high-speed turns and other designs that encourage higher speeds and more severe collisions with pedestrians. Put another way - all our "we want safely designed roads" talk is actually "we want safely designed roads [as long as cars don't have to slow down very much]"

Another interesting example that's more auto industry-wide; there's zero attempt to engineer cars to obey the speed limit yet which would be technically possible and solve a ton of issues. Ironically, the e-bicycle and e-scooter industry has loads of engineered restrictions on speed and power, despite weighing 10-50x less and travelling at 10x slower. Can't go faster than 5km/h in the Stampede Grounds on a scooter for example (but I digress).

After the design or our roads and cars, we then layer in administrative controls (speed limits). Unfortunately, because we engineering the streets to feel like you can drive faster than the speed limit in many situations, the "holes" line right up. This is why speed limits aren't effective - they do little to make the street safer and rely on drivers to fight their natural feeling that they can drive faster. Tools to increase the effectiveness of administrative controls like photo-radar and police enforcement is random, minimal and completely ineffective. There's no incentive to follow the rules. Again there's no technological limit to just install photo-radar on every street everywhere so that the incentive is so high it forces people to drive safer.

This gets into the final step, behavioural controls. We tell people to "behave" (public announcements to slow down, please drive safely) we get people to do a drivers test once when they are 16 years old and never again. This is the weakest layer of protection because it relies on people to be safe in their choices - which assumes they want to be safe (1), they know what safe options are (2), they don't make mistakes or misjudge any random situation that comes up on the road (3). It's not just selfish jerks that ignore the rules, it's also just plain mistakes that kill people. Better and more rigorous driving training helps - but you can't eliminate all the mistakes people will make in all conditions.

So now a collision has occurred - time to mitigate. If a car was going slower to begin with, the damage and injury would be less severe. If we separate cyclists and pedestrians with physical barriers and bollards we can sometimes reduce the risk they get hit (this is the issue with un-projected bicycle lanes).

The whole point:
Because we do so little with engineering controls, we leave far too much of our road safety up to administrative controls (which we refuse to enforce) and behavourial controls (which are the least effective). Telling people to just drive safer is all good but won't mean anything as people are incentivized to drive fast; they can and will make mistakes or act recklessly. Design a road to make people drive slower is a key part to increasing actual safety.

Im in sweden currently and their road design is top notch, i notice myself often driving exactly the speed limit or slightly under before i even know what the limit is. Lots of traffic calming in residential areas. The highways are narrower than suburban Calgary's residential arteries. Many of the big highways also have 120kmh speed limits with people generally driving between 100-130

Im in sweden currently and their road design is top notch, i notice myself often driving exactly the speed limit or slightly under before i even know what the limit is. Lots of traffic calming in residential areas. The highways are narrower than suburban Calgary's residential arteries. Many of the big highways also have 120kmh speed limits with people generally driving between 100-130
It takes a whole evolution of thinking, in which Sweden and many European countries are light-years ahead.

A place to start is breaking the assumption that cars need to go everywhere, on every route, as fast as possible. So much of our inner city community streets are way more dangerous and unpleasant than they need to be because of this assumption persists and undermines all other goals of the street. It's not saying make everything car-free, it's saying just prevent cars from going fast and straight through areas they don't need to (neighbourhoods). For an example - with the free-flow 33rd Avenue a block away, there's no rationale why someone shouldn't at least be forced to a stop sign on 34 Avenue for 1km. Unsurprisingly, the road totally sucks for pedestrians, noise and safety:

1657649854072.png

And it's not like communities don't notice or want this just as much as other cities do - traffic speeds, noise and safety are always at the top of the complaints people have in their own neighbourhoods for any public consultations on project, but frustrating little is done because the solutions challenge the assumption that cars need to go everywhere, on every route, as fast as possible. Even if it puts all road users in more danger.

Things like stop signs, mode filters (e.g. bicycles go straight, cars must turn), and physical corner turn restrictions are rejected at the start of a process with no evidence that their implementation will trigger any measurable travel time, congestion or volume concern. Most neighbourhoods have such limited traffic anyways that's part of the problem - traffic can move way too fast as there's nothing in the overly wide street design/congestion to offer the slightest rationale to slow down. Add a few filters to cut the speed and force some slowness and a whole neighbourhood can change to the benefit of everyone.

It takes a whole evolution of thinking, in which Sweden and many European countries are light-years ahead.

A place to start is breaking the assumption that cars need to go everywhere, on every route, as fast as possible. So much of our inner city community streets are way more dangerous and unpleasant than they need to be because of this assumption persists and undermines all other goals of the street. It's not saying make everything car-free, it's saying just prevent cars from going fast and straight through areas they don't need to (neighbourhoods). For an example - with the free-flow 33rd Avenue a block away, there's no rationale why someone shouldn't at least be forced to a stop sign on 34 Avenue for 1km. Unsurprisingly, the road totally sucks for pedestrians, noise and safety:

View attachment 413374

And it's not like communities don't notice or want this just as much as other cities do - traffic speeds, noise and safety are always at the top of the complaints people have in their own neighbourhoods for any public consultations on project, but frustrating little is done because the solutions challenge the assumption that cars need to go everywhere, on every route, as fast as possible. Even if it puts all road users in more danger.

Things like stop signs, mode filters (e.g. bicycles go straight, cars must turn), and physical corner turn restrictions are rejected at the start of a process with no evidence that their implementation will trigger any measurable travel time, congestion or volume concern. Most neighbourhoods have such limited traffic anyways that's part of the problem - traffic can move way too fast as there's nothing in the overly wide street design/congestion to offer the slightest rationale to slow down. Add a few filters to cut the speed and force some slowness and a whole neighbourhood can change to the benefit of everyone.
Hopefully the City doesn’t listen to the loudest voices who oppose the 33/34 Streetscape Master Plan (and proposed cycling infrastructure) because they are concerned about the impact it will have on their automobiles, and they implement some of these things!

This gets into the final step, behavioural controls. We tell people to "behave" (public announcements to slow down, please drive safely) we get people to do a drivers test once when they are 16 years old and never again. This is the weakest layer of protection because it relies on people to be safe in their choices - which assumes they want to be safe (1), they know what safe options are (2), they don't make mistakes or misjudge any random situation that comes up on the road (3). It's not just selfish jerks that ignore the rules, it's also just plain mistakes that kill people. Better and more rigorous driving training helps - but you can't eliminate all the mistakes people will make in all conditions.
There's also a cultural control, related to your point. Society encourages faster speeds than posted limits. People who don't drive a little faster than the speed limit are considered weird, too conservative, or annoying. I experienced this first hand while learning to drive again. I was careful about travelling the speed limit and my co-pilot was barely able to contain her rage. I was even mocked a bit for "being too safe".

I had a chance to enjoy the new extension of 12th Ave. cycle track yesterday. It was nice.
I get frustrated sometimes that cyclist infrastructure in Calgary isnt progressing fast enough but, yesterday reminded me that we’ve had some wins over the last five years.
Also on a sidebar, Two House brew pub looks ready to open anytime now. Me and a couple of friends stopped at a few pubs along the 12th Ave. cycle track. We purposely try to visit those businesses a couple of times each summer to give them support.
Back when the 12th Ave. cycle track was proposed a lot of establishments were worried that it would hurt their business. If these businesses do well, and set a precedent for potential tracks in other parts of the city.

The city is looking for feedback regarding the 3rd ave detour path they have setup.

Back