News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Is there a chance it could be a mass timber building? Can we do 11 floors with that product in Alberta?
I wish we would start seeing these. I hate working in concrete builds(due to need for hammer drilling) but what’s almost worse is working in standard wood frame building, so much drilling through joists and shit running out lines throughout.

Kasian Architecture aims to serve extended families with proposed residential tower​

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/top...residential-tower/ar-AAXJo0j?ocid=hplocalnews

AAXJ9qj.img

New tower in the Beltline!

Edit: LOVE those Japanese windows!
Definitely looks good.

Wasn't the original idea to have this polar bear exhibit located where the Dinosaur park is right now and for it to include a substantial water component to allow for people to watch the bears swimming? Maybe I'm misremembering? These plans seem a bit disappointing compared to what was possible.

Wasn't the original idea to have this polar bear exhibit located where the Dinosaur park is right now and for it to include a substantial water component to allow for people to watch the bears swimming? Maybe I'm misremembering? These plans seem a bit disappointing compared to what was possible.
The last 20 year plan for the zoo came out in 2013. Within it was proposed that the prehistoric park be replaced by an Asia section with habitats for Siberian Tigers, Snow Monkeys, Takin, and a large tropical house by the main entrance. The spot where the Polar Bears are going in now was marked Bear 1 on the map originally included in those plans.
You can read the CTV article about the 2013 master plan: HERE

The revamped prehistoric section with animatronic dinos is pretty sweet. A key thing is that they are guaranteed to be perfectly visible every time, something that can't be said for most of the big animals.

I'd love for the Calgary Zoo to buy land in Drumheller and relocate the prehistoric park there whenever they plan to close the current one. The Tigers definitely need a new enclosure, they've nearly escaped on a number of occasions (I've heard stories while at summer camp at the zoo.)

Back