News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

There was some sort of rig set up on the gravel lot immediately west of the Simmons Building this morning. To me it looked like they were taking core samples or something along those lines. Perhaps an indication that the sale of this property is imminent and the prospective buyer is doing the last of their due diligence?
This former site owned (maybe still owned) by F&S?

I know F&S sold the remainder of the Verve site back to CMLC. Unsure about this site

From the CMLC 2020 Annual Report
We have purchase-and-sale agreements underway with new developer partners for blocks K, Q, Y and M1. While the unexpected events of 2020 extended their timing, we anticipate announcing some of these project partnerships in 2021.
M1 is the former Riverhouse site so I'd guess that they either did buy it back or are working as the broker. Q is the remainder of the verve site, K is the large parking lot block, and Y is the Bounce site.

Hope that's still the project!
Yeah it has the perfect scale and design for the site. I think it was to share the parking lot entrance with M2 to minimize parking entrances crossing sidewalks and mazimize spatial efficiency relative to building two separate garages. That was part of the justification for CMLC financing part of the M2 project.

Article on Arlington Street Investments. New rendering for their site at the SE intersection of 17th Ave & 14th St which shows the historical Scotia Bank building demolished along with the ugly Telus building.

1630021456288.png

Article on Arlington Street Investments. New rendering for their site at the SE intersection of 17th Ave & 14th St which shows the historical Scotia Bank building demolished along with the ugly Telus building.

View attachment 344286
I prefer to see the existing Scotia and Telus building stay, and the Telus building get a funky makeover.

I appreciate that ASI is trying to build up 17th, but they would have a much better impact building on lots that are empty rather than take down character buildings. Maybe they thought of that, but couldn't purchase the land, but still.

I prefer to see the existing Scotia building stay as is, and the Telus building get a funky makeover.

I agree. My preference would be to demolish the Telus building and incorporate the old Scotia Bank building into the base of a low rise glass residential tower. Sad to see it not be considered. Wonder if it is on the list of historic designations?

I agree. My preference would be to demolish the Telus building and incorporate the old Scotia Bank building into the base of a low rise glass residential tower. Sad to see it not be considered. Wonder if it is on the list of historic designations?

I answered my own question. It is not designated.

I actually like the Telus building, not as it is, but as it could be if it was re-purposed and given some retail frontage and more windows.

I'd also be okay with a development incorporating the Scotia building, as long as it wasn't too large.

I’d like to see the Scotia building incorporated, but I also like that removing the building will allow for commercial space to wrap around the corner onto 14th Street. It would have been easier to justify saving the Scotia building if it wasn’t on the corner.

View attachment 344286
Did they buy the Telus building? It still has a forsale sign on it.

Back