4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Public Art

I'm angry that I wasn't the first to get a video of this 😒😡🤣 hahaha

Soooo gorgeous!

This is pretty cool - I've always thought Calgary is lacking in traditional statues of historical figures. Also it's nice to see that it's being funded fully by private donations.

I've done some looking into what public statues Calgary does have of historic figures. I'm only considering statue or full bust representations of specific historic people, excluding various plaques with bas-reliefs of people; I'd also exclude for example the mounted soldier in the Boer War memorial in Central Memorial Park; although there were local residents used as models (including the McCormick of western outfitters Riley And fame), it's intended to be a representation of the universal Alberta Soldier.

Here's my list -- am I missing any?

People from/involved in Calgary/Alberta area
  • Col. James Macleod, RCMP - Fort Calgary
  • Chief Sitting Eagle, Stoney Nakoda - 6th St / 7th Ave SW
  • Emily Murphy, Irene Parlby, Nellie McClung, Louise McKinney and Henrietta Muir Edwards (Famous FIve) - Olympic Plaza
  • Donald Alexander Smith, Lord Strathcona - Museum of the Regiments
  • Brig. Andrew Hamilton Gault, PPCLI founder - Museum of the Regiments
  • Deerfoot - there was a statue of him at Deerfoot Mall, don't know with the redevelopment if it's still there or if it's in storage somewhere
Other people with statues here for various reasons:
  • James Wolfe - Mount Royal (Park between Wolfe, Montcalm and Quebec); also implied in the "Wolfe And The Sparrows" statue in Inglewood
  • Nicolaus Copernicus - bust on Prince's Island
  • Hippocrates - Foothills Medical Centre atrium
  • Socrates - U of C Admin building atrium
The Socrates and Hippocrates were carved in Greece out of marble. The Wolfe statue was originally on a facade in Manhattan (along with three other sculptures; Peter Stuyvesant, Henry Hudson and George Clinton - sadly not the cool one). The other three went to live on a nice farm upstate; Eric Harvie bought the Wolfe statue and it stood by the planetarium 1966-2000; it was moved to the park about a decade ago.

I've done some looking into what public statues Calgary does have of historic figures. I'm only considering statue or full bust representations of specific historic people, excluding various plaques with bas-reliefs of people; I'd also exclude for example the mounted soldier in the Boer War memorial in Central Memorial Park; although there were local residents used as models (including the McCormick of western outfitters Riley And fame), it's intended to be a representation of the universal Alberta Soldier.

• Emily Murphy, Irene Parlby, Nellie McClung, Louise McKinney and Henrietta Muir Edwards (Famous FIve) - Olympic Plaza
  • Deerfoot - there was a statue of him at Deerfoot Mall, don't know with the redevelopment if it's still there or if it's in storage somewhere
  • James Wolfe - Mount Royal (Park between Wolfe, Montcalm and Quebec); also implied in the "Wolfe And The Sparrows" statue in Inglewood
The Socrates and Hippocrates were carved in Greece out of marble. The Wolfe statue was originally on a facade in Manhattan (along with three other sculptures; Peter Stuyvesant, Henry Hudson and George Clinton - sadly not the cool one). The other three went to live on a nice farm upstate; Eric Harvie bought the Wolfe statue and it stood by the planetarium 1966-2000; it was moved to the park about a decade ago.
There's a statue of Robert the Bruce, in front of the Jube. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Nice rundown. I didn't know we had all these statues around the city and the history behind some of them.

I thought for a split second this might be working again but it's still dead on the other side. Would be nice to see it running again.
20210415_214701.jpg
20210415_214701.jpg
20210415_214701.jpg

Also:

Sam Livingston, one of Calgary's first citizens, in the airport
Vincent Van Gogh, 10th Ave and 1st St SE

and as I learned from this excellent piece, there's a statue of the Southerns at Spruce Meadows.

The Famous Five are controversial, but what about the others?

I havent heard any SJW outrage over James Macleod. He did set up a fort with at least some intent to quell the whiskey trade, which can't be viewed as negative.

I thought Shaw was doing something with art pieces like that in the park for the winter? But that also could’ve been something I dreamed. But it looks awfully familiar I swear if seen it before.

Back