News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

Biden is canceling Keystone on day 1.

CBC.ca: Calgary looks to extend business pilot project to new areas.

The City's expanding a pilot project into Sunalta, Forest Lawn and Montgomery. Could make for some interesting improvements to these areas.

I'm especially curious about Sunalta, it's a bit of an underrated area. It's got great density, transit access and proximity to downtown. With the right conditions I really think 10th ave could make be an interesting (maybe even a little eclectic) street. Could be a real hidden gem if the right businesses take advantage of this pilot project.

Biden is canceling Keystone on day 1.
This really blows. But IMO there is also hope that he moves against fracking in the medium term as he is clearly unafraid of the oil lobby.
On the other hand it is somewhat predictable, and why many people felt it foolish for the province to invest considerable public funds into what amounted to a bet on Trump winning the election and the project passing other state level hurdles.

This really blows. But IMO there is also hope that he moves against fracking in the medium term as he is clearly unafraid of the oil lobby.
On the other hand it is somewhat predictable, and why many people felt it foolish for the province to invest considerable public funds into what amounted to a bet on Trump winning the election and the project passing other state level hurdles.
Yeah. I was a bit stunned that Kenney made that investment announcement only months before the U.S election. You would think he would wait for the outcome before doing anything.
I read that in his congratulatory phone call to Biden, Trudeau mentioned there were a couple of issues he needed to discuss with him after inauguration. Keystone XL was one of them. If that is true, good on Trudeau. Bad on Biden if he hastily kills the pipeline without allowing Trudeau to defend it.

We can hope, but I think we will most likely see a continuation of the Obama era policies where there was a major expansion of US oil & gas while only paying lip-service to environmentalists by kneecaping the Canadian economy. If US shale declines (which is likely), it will be due to geology and a lack of capital investment in production growth in recent years.

On the positive side, our industry can still grow with only TMX and Line 3. Perhaps the strategy will be to keep KXL on life support in hopes that Joe is a one-term president.

Is anyone watching this impromptu Kenney address? It is ostensibly about vaccinations but so far he's spent the first 10 minutes talking Keystone. I can't figure out who his audience is here... if this is his best platform for presenting these ideas to American counterparts or federal negotiators thats a big problem lol.

"The United States owes us the respect of sitting down and discussing this!" Unfortunately the US federal governments actions over the last 10 years really prove they don't believe they owe Canada shit all... so that's not going to work.

At least an outright cancellation gives certainty. The incompetent revival under Trump was way worse for the industry than just keeping the project dead.
I agree. After Trump's 'ceremonial signature' in January 2017, four years of wasted time and money on both sides of the border. If it was not for state courts, it could have been built in that time.

If it was not for state courts, it could have been built in that time.
I believe at least one defeat was due to the failure of the admin to follow administrative law, not solely state level approvals and permits. Not that it matters.

What matters is if the Trump administration had either been competent, or hadn't tried to do it, we'd be way closer to having another TC owned export pipeline.

USD $15 million investment made in Kent Imaging Inc.. Exciting to see private investment being made in the Life Sciences sector. 2021 is shaping up to be a monster year in VC funding for Calgary and Alberta.

USD $15 million investment made in Kent Imaging Inc.. Exciting to see private investment being made in the Life Sciences sector. 2021 is shaping up to be a monster year in VC funding for Calgary and Alberta.

They recently received an additional $1.75 million in zero interest loans (fed speak: repayable contributions) from Western Economic Diversification too.

It is almost like and oil and gas slump has given companies room to grow and stay in Calgary it seems, instead of reaching a certain size then hitting a wall with the choice of either moving or stagnating. Sad to see the slump, but awesome to see that Calgarians can compete just as well across the economy too.

Well the rumour of Biden cancelling Keystone XL is true. It is one of 17 executive actions that will be announced shortly. Yesterday, Trudeau reiterated that he will take the subject up with Biden and reinforce the benefits of the pipeline to both countries and the downside of cancelling it at this late stage. Even if Biden listens, I don't see how he goes back on the order and reinstates the pipeline. That would look worse to the left wing of his party as they would see him as 'wishy washy'. So would the media. It is very disappointing that Biden will not give this issue more time before acting.

Back