The deVille | 52.12m | 13s | Remington | Gibbs Gage

I feel like we heard on here that all three are going up.

So 3 now?

The one tower is starting to really climb:
IMG_20200902_093953.jpg

Geography facts: apart from 1 building in Forest Lawn, a handful of buildings along MacLeod Trail and of course the far eastern part of the Beltline, I think this is the only apartment tower (concrete, >6 storeys) built in the SE quadrant.

I can see the cranes from my bedroom so I wonder if the buildings will be high enough, funny sight in the 'burbs.

I can see the cranes from my bedroom so I wonder if the buildings will be high enough, funny sight in the 'burbs.

From the site that shall not be named, except should be properly sourced here, here is some useful maps of all the buildings ever built over 35m in Calgary and Toronto. On display is Toronto's unusual propensity for suburban tower construction, a product of the post-war apartment block boom of the 1960s and 1970s. Also on display is Calgary's unusual aversion to suburban towers, born of uniquely high incomes and the suburban home-ownership craze of the 1980s, 1990s & 2000s.

Calgary (~400 buildings over 35m)
1599104865562.png

Toronto (~3,000+ buildings over 35m)
1599104916336.png

In terms of suburban towers, I bet Calgary will drift closer to the Toronto model over time - although never catch up as Toronto continues to accelerate away. By Calgary standards though, it'll slowly be a big change on the look of the city used to next to zero high buildings outside the core.

From the site that shall not be named, except should be properly sourced here, here is some useful maps of all the buildings ever built over 35m in Calgary and Toronto. On display is Toronto's unusual propensity for suburban tower construction, a product of the post-war apartment block boom of the 1960s and 1970s. Also on display is Calgary's unusual aversion to suburban towers, born of uniquely high incomes and the suburban home-ownership craze of the 1980s, 1990s & 2000s.

Calgary (~400 buildings over 35m)
View attachment 267494

Toronto (~3,000+ buildings over 35m)
View attachment 267495

In terms of suburban towers, I bet Calgary will drift closer to the Toronto model over time - although never catch up as Toronto continues to accelerate away. By Calgary standards though, it'll slowly be a big change on the look of the city used to next to zero high buildings outside the core.
We can only hope!

I don't know if its just me but Im a big sucker for high rises nodes spread all over the city, especially around Transit sites. Which is the one thing I really like about metro Vancouver. If done right it can give your town that big city feel where things are happening, plus its visually appealing while driving and flying, as long as you don't get crappy designs like The Hub. Still waiting on that Westbrook node...sigh
1599191085755.png

I don't know if its just me but Im a big sucker for high rises nodes spread all over the city, especially around Transit sites. Which is the one thing I really like about metro Vancouver. If done right it can give your town that big city feel where things are happening, plus its visually appealing while driving and flying, as long as you don't get crappy designs like The Hub. Still waiting on that Westbrook node...sigh
View attachment 267681
I'm the same way and I echo your thoughts on metro Vancouver in my head all the time. Wouldn't it be awesome if Westbrook, Currie Barracks, Brentwood Commons started development post haste? I think I've mentioned it before but I'd love to see a node of high rises in Crowfoot Plaza. I think it would be cool to see that while traveling Eastbound on highway 1, coming back from mountains before you actually get into city and see the CBD. Of course if we got those nodes we'd want one a couple on the East side of the city for symmetry purposes. A few more high rises at Quarry Park would be great but I'm unsure of a second location in the East side that would have potential..35L and 35R at YYC kind of hamper locations in the NE. I suppose the Saddletowne station would work for a small node.

Last edited:

Back