News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

As long as the windows aren't limo tint black like the building to the east it should be decent.
It's reasonably good filler and certainly better than an parking lot - but once again our arterial road design limits how good this one could ever be. I suspect most access will be off the parking lot to the rear, rather than the side fronting a noisy, near-freeway quality of Bow Trail. Look for those retail bays to eventually remain locked and accessed only from the other side.

Bow Trail is a good example of the split personality in how we design our major roads. A weird combo of wide lanes, high capacity, green-wave signal timing and sound walls slice right through the older, grid-layout suburban areas, combined with intermittent freeway/near-freeway sections (Downtown to Shaganappi Point; 45 Street to 85th Street). I drive on this one regularly and it has to be a leading candidate in the city for road design-induced speeding.

Don’t know if this has been posted yet - on 5th ave and 11a st.

3C6CC8ED-5954-4BA3-93BB-102530B37171.jpeg

I don't mind the streetscape made up of 3 storey townhouses, but I don't care for the wooden fences in front of the balconies.I get people like their privacy, but the fences would look better if shorter. I also don't like the setbacks. Why have a strip of useless grass patches? If anything you could extend the living space out a bit more, or extend some nice patios out front. I'm betting that it's not the faulty of the developer, but due to the city's setback rules.
Totally agree. I am baffled that they gave them approval for those type of basically full-size fences along a public street. Yes the setbacks are crap (and produce a shitty underwhelming streetscape) and the grass patch is useless and stupid to maintain in a strata, but the solution to fix this is so simple it hurts. On both sides of the development, run a picket fence with a gate and high-quality landscaping for screening. Why developers in this city completely seem to not understand that people in slab-on-grade townhomes want a small picket-fenced yard to be able to let a dog out into is unreal. The only development that seems to be doing this right is Goodwin by Anthem (which they just took a model they use in Surrey all day). On all the townhomes that I have ever worked on, even when they are really narrow interlocked, units, every unit gets a picket yard with a tree in it and great landscaping for screening. Having this usually leaves you with a small yard to let a dog out to pee, have some seats and a small garden, etc. which IMO makes a big difference in the livability of a townhouse.
Here is Goodwin in Belmont:
1598984888919.png

Here are a couple examples of other ones:
1598984930909.png

1598985043827.png

Not whatever this is:
1598985159102.png

It's reasonably good filler and certainly better than an parking lot - but once again our arterial road design limits how good this one could ever be. I suspect most access will be off the parking lot to the rear, rather than the side fronting a noisy, near-freeway quality of Bow Trail. Look for those retail bays to eventually remain locked and accessed only from the other side.

Bow Trail is a good example of the split personality in how we design our major roads. A weird combo of wide lanes, high capacity, green-wave signal timing and sound walls slice right through the older, grid-layout suburban areas, combined with intermittent freeway/near-freeway sections (Downtown to Shaganappi Point; 45 Street to 85th Street). I drive on this one regularly and it has to be a leading candidate in the city for road design-induced speeding.
Yeah - I wish they would just make Bow Tr. a freeway between Crow and Sarcee. Take out the Jubilations building and straighten out the ‘S’ curve and add interchanges at Sarcee and a couple of the following:
- 26th St
- 33rd St
- 37th St
- 45th St

^^^ Yaaaaas! That is the thinking we need!

tenor.gif

I’m down with the tunnel.

Tunnel Bow Trail and restore pedestrian scale connections between Rosscarrock and Wildwood. Reclaim the road setbacks for neighborhood amenities.

Or if you want to live in the burbs, then sorry, us inner city folk are tired of carving out our neighbourhoods for you to cut through quicker.

Bow Trail between 33rd and Sarcee carries less traffic than 14th Street NW, similar to Memorial/Parkdale all the way from Sarcee to Crowchild. Taking it down to 2 lanes each way without frontage roads would be fine, without any offsetting traffic lanes (though I would concede that the Bow/Sarcee interchange would help a lot, though we should probably wait until the ring road is fully open to see what the turning movement requirement is at that intersection long term).
1599150931836.png

Attachments

• 1599150838756.png
    1599150838756.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 138
Interesting, I always assumed Bow was much busier than that. I take Bowness / Memorial when I drive and it's slow and frustrating at times, but not really bad at all.

Back