• Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
1591998403360.jpeg

there is a cinder block stairwell or elevator shaft extending above the 2nd floor. dont know but maybe it will be wood from here.

Really curious to see how this one goes, RNDSQR value engineered some of their developments and they are not nearly as nice as the renders. The townhouses in Hillhurst being the best example...
I too am very curious. Don’t think it will be possible for the finished product to live up to the renders — eg. not surprisingly, it looks like each floor plate will be more than 2” thick as shown in the renders — that front cantilever that floated high above the City sidewalk with minimal support in the renders now appears to rest on a very substantial row of concrete pillars — concerned about the impact those pillars will have on the public realm. Time will tell.

I too am very curious. Don’t think it will be possible for the finished product to live up to the renders — eg. not surprisingly, it looks like each floor plate will be more than 2” thick as shown in the renders — that front cantilever that floated high above the City sidewalk with minimal support in the renders now appears to rest on a very substantial row of concrete pillars — concerned about the impact those pillars will have on the public realm. Time will tell.
Do you mean the little breezeway where the stairs are? I haven't been by this yet, but it looks like the column grid matches mostly what the render on Rndsqr's website shows. The columns look like they will be clad or back in the building with the storefront glazing running past. Unless they are massive columns like you see on a tower downtown, I wouldn't really expect any impact from them on the public realm. Who takes those commercial spaces will have far more of an impact.

Do you mean the little breezeway where the stairs are? I haven't been by this yet, but it looks like the column grid matches mostly what the render on Rndsqr's website shows. The columns look like they will be clad or back in the building with the storefront glazing running past. Unless they are massive columns like you see on a tower downtown, I wouldn't really expect any impact from them on the public realm. Who takes those commercial spaces will have far more of an impact.
No, not the breezeway -- I am referring to the columns that support the cantilever along the south facade. In the picture at the top of this page they are substantial concrete columns, whereas in the renders (see pic below) they are shown as thin black posts. As these columns bifurcate the public realm, increasing their mass will further divide the spaces on each side.
1593100105430.png

No, not the breezeway -- I am referring to the columns that support the cantilever along the south facade. In the picture at the top of this page they are substantial concrete columns, whereas in the renders (see pic below) they are shown as thin black posts. As these columns bifurcate the public realm, increasing their mass will further divide the spaces on each side.
View attachment 253999
Good catch, it will be interesting to see if this turns out anything close to this render for the public realm. I find renderings that show excessive transparency and vision glass are quite often misleading.

The render does show columns all the way to the exterior (the girl is leaning / sitting against one) but it's misleading in how slender they appear. Too many developers and architects have renders like this from the conceptual stage, but haven't updated them once the working drawings actually figure out all the columns and things like that. It's equally as misleading as the Cidex projects showing a huge span of clear glass that turns to spandrel in reality.

The render does show columns all the way to the exterior (the girl is leaning / sitting against one) but it's misleading in how slender they appear. Too many developers and architects have renders like this from the conceptual stage, but haven't updated them once the working drawings actually figure out all the columns and things like that. It's equally as misleading as the Cidex projects showing a huge span of clear glass that turns to spandrel in reality.
Agree -- and in this case those "pretty pictures" played a big part in the project being approved despite numerous substantive non-compliances with the applicable planning policy vision as set out in the Marda Loop ARP. It seemed that any concern raised was met with swooning over "the incredible architectural design". I will hold judgment until it it finished, but I suspect the final product will look fairly pedestrian compared to the renders.

Back