News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Strategic One will get finished however I have my doubts about Barron Building. Something tells me that they did not have all their financing in place for this. I may be wrong in this thinking.
I hate to say it, but you might be right. The last two times I went past it, it was quiet.

I forgot this was happening. It's shame for people in Ramsay or Inglewood.
I'm not too shook up about the loss of a car crossing however pedestrian & cycle traffic will be impacted for sure. Already lost the pedestrian/bike underpasses along both sides of the Elbow river, due to the 9 Ave bridge construction.

Yeah, the bike path/pedestrian situation will be an issue. It'll be a pain in the butt until the construction at the new bridge is completed.

"The city says it’s also looking into underpasses or overpasses at various north Ramsay locations "

Anyone have the inside scoop of where they might be looking?

LOC going to council Monday to upzone 24 Ramsay properties

ramsay.png

Administration is recommending refusal

Administration recommends refusal of the proposed land use redesignation and the associated amendment to the existing Ramsay Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP). The proposal does not conform to the existing ARP and is not in keeping with heritage policies of the Municipal Development Plan (MDP) which directs The City to identify and help protect Calgary’s historic resources. It is Administration’s position that the proposal may incentivize the destruction of a high concentration of properties that contribute to the heritage character of Ramsay without any mechanism to offset the loss.

Administration recommends refusal of the proposed land use redesignation and the associated amendment to the existing Ramsay Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP). The proposal does not conform to the existing ARP and is not in keeping with heritage policies of the Municipal Development Plan (MDP) which directs The City to identify and help protect Calgary’s historic resources. It is Administration’s position that the proposal may incentivize the destruction of a high concentration of properties that contribute to the heritage character of Ramsay without any mechanism to offset the loss.

So overwhelmed by the historical character of this street. It should be preserved indefinitely so that tourists can travel from all over the world to experience Calgary's unique and exquisite heritage.
8stse.jpg

View attachment 224837

8th St SE Calgary.png
Maggie St SE Calgary.png

"It is Administration’s position that the proposal may incentivize the destruction of a high concentration of properties that contribute to the heritage character of Ramsay without any mechanism to offset the loss"
This is a joke right? what historic resources are they talking about. Above are what the street level of 8th St SE and Maggie St SE look like. Which of these buildings look historic to these people? Hell, not even looking at the fact that this is largely completely uninspired single family housing with a handful of small multi-family housing developments along the stretch of both of these streets with the exception of Red's Diner, there isn't a single building that's even made of quality material or one that looks interesting. What is there worth keeping in this absolutely basic.suburban stretch of the Ramsay community.

So overwhelmed by the historical character of this street. It should be preserved indefinitely so that tourists can travel from all over the world to experience Calgary's unique and exquisite heritage.
View attachment 224868
View attachment 224869View attachment 224870
"It is Administration’s position that the proposal may incentivize the destruction of a high concentration of properties that contribute to the heritage character of Ramsay without any mechanism to offset the loss"
This is a joke right? what historic resources are they talking about. Above are what the street level of 8th St SE and Maggie St SE look like. Which of these buildings look historic to these people? Hell, not even looking at the fact that this is largely completely uninspired single family housing with a handful of small multi-family housing developments along the stretch of both of these streets with the exception of Red's Diner, there isn't a single building that's even made of quality material or one that looks interesting. What is there worth keeping in this absolutely basic.suburban stretch of the Ramsay community.

The report in the link posts lists the specific addresses they're talking about which aren't any of the photos posted, so I'm confused about why they are being posted?

The report in the link posts lists the specific addresses they're talking about which aren't any of the photos posted, so I'm confused about why they are being posted?

The three sites for those interested, 1105, 1107, 1129.

1105-07.JPG
1129.JPG

Relevant text:

Three properties within the site are identified on Map 3 Historic Interest Sites of the existing ARP. These include: Site 22, 1129 - 8 Street SE, and Site 42, 1105 and 1107 - 8 Street SE. Additionally, in a survey conducted by The City’s Heritage Planning team the following properties within the subject site were identified as contributing to the heritage character of Ramsay: 1105, 1107, 1113, 1115, 1129, 1135, 1137, 1141, 1145, and 1147 - 8 Street SE. These properties in combination with those identified in the ARP represent 42 percent (10 out of 24 parcels) of the existing properties within the site, which is a high concentration of properties contributing to a community’s heritage character within a single block

Back