RNDSQR Block | 44.8m | 12s | RNDSQR | 5468796 Architecture

I'm not saying you're wrong, as this scale is new territory for RNDSQR, compared to the smaller projects they've done in the past, but all developers start out with smaller projects. Battistella started out doing infills.
Courtyard 33 will be a good indicator. While not as large as this, it's a good sized project.
When you really look into it, most of what is on 546's website are renderings and haven't been built. One of the other projects they are currently working on with RNDSQR in Calgary is way behind schedule (it was supposed to open in July IIRC) and way over budget from what I have heard. RNDSQR also hasn't completed anything bigger than a 4-plex before. I'm basing my opinion on this information. I don't see either of them being able to complete such a complex project.

Also, the concept for this building is a direct copy of Norman Foster but with wood, which just can't work in our climate as it would not meet the new energy code (all glass buildings don't make the cut anymore and the thermal bridging would be too great.)

Concurrent land use and DP is still not a guarantee. Land use is forever, DPs expire over time and can be cancelled / changed. The only way to truly ensure zoning is tied to a design is to do a Direct Control bylaw, tied to plans. This was done more in the past (not a lot, but more than now). It basically wrote into the zoning on the parcel exactly what needed to be built. But there are challenges with it, as it meant that any change to the plans, even if it was minor, had to go back to a Council public hearing, adding a lot of time/expense in the process.

Good points^. One item to add - it is possible to add a sunset clause into a DC. This is fairly common and effectively puts an expiry date on the DC. If the site is not developed by a certain date, the land use reverts back to the previous version.
Interesting. I don't think I have heard of that before.

Some more renderings.

7-19.10.17-Atrium-lobby.jpg
7-Exterior-rendering-01.jpg

*dies*

Looks amazing, I hope they can get moving on this and remove that used car lot. Just to note that on the other site that shall not be mentioned there is nothing but hate towards this project...

I do understand some criticism towards the size and the feel but it's pretty hyperbolic over there.

Renderings are always fantastical scenarios, and there will clearly need to be somewhat of a reality check because of the new energy rules, but even then this should turn out to be a pretty strong statement of a design. At least it shows an architect and developer willing to reach for something. Even if its 75% of what we see here, it should be a great building.

Having said that, as someone who works in the area, I do see some merit in the argument that this building is perhaps too tall for the street vibe and will feel quite imposing. What I personally would hate to see is all the character buildings along 9th slowly be demolished for new-build midrises, and ruining the vibe of Inglewood. But I guess that is the case whether this building is 8 floors or 12, and at least this one ups the quality.

Yes that very well might be the case. I imagine this is not a cheap vision to execute, so they need to max out its potential to make it viable.

Back