News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I haven't heard anything on this one, but it would be great to see it built. It's a small project, but it's a game changer. A Village Ice Cream is an instant vibrancy machine, add in a Phil's and an Una and you've got a busy little area.
Has anyone heard any news about the General Block by RNDSQR in Bridgeland? I always hate it when people ask this cause updates are allllways posted here, but this project is so small it might be under the radar.

Two of the three retail bays have already been leased (Village Ice Cream and Phil & Sebastians), but most recent news from their team was after community engagement and DP submissions back in July. The community was in support, so I'm just not sure why no news on approval or construction yet. Here's hoping it's a revision to have two floors of rental on top, instead of one floor of office. *crosses fingers*

Edit: Nevermind, all three bays are least, UNA Pizza being the third. All local Calgary establishments. Damn ?

2019-02-22+-+FAAS+Arch+-+RNDSQR+Render+1+REV2.jpg

Interesting article. I don't even remember a gas station at the Sears. The article says it operated until the mid 90's.

News on the North Hill Mall site:
The way that article is written, it gives the impression that Sears Canada is 'going bankrupt. They are not going.... they are gone... long gone! Good luck finding anyone else to take responsibility for the clean up.
Just another hurdle in getting that site developed. It is such an eyesore now. A few years ago, Sears and Concord Pacific announced they had a joint development venture for that site. Maybe Concord Pacific will kick in, just to keep their oar in the water.

Looks like Humpy Hollow Park (that's it's real name) is getting a reno.

View attachment 219141View attachment 219142
Nice to see a refresh, but disappointed to see they are removing the children's play structure. The existing one on site looks pretty good, and little kids would have more fun with that than a playful hill with a rubberized surface. I guess the City views this area as having more dog owners than families for the foreseeable future. Fair enough, but it doesn't encourage more families downtown.

Also, the water feature next to the urban dog park is designed as one big drinking bowl for dogs, right? Because, that is probably what it will be used for.....

Nice to see a refresh, but disappointed to see they are removing the children's play structure. The existing one on site looks pretty good, and little kids would have more fun with that than a playful hill with a rubberized surface. I guess the City views this area as having more dog owners than families for the foreseeable future. Fair enough, but it doesn't encourage more families downtown.

Also, the water feature next to the urban dog park is designed as one big drinking bowl for dogs, right? Because, that is probably what it will be used for.....
Sounds like the playground may end up staying yet, which would be nice.

Thom Mahler @thomcal
Dec 4
The redesign will include consideration of how children and families will use the space. There will be more public engagement to gather input and ideas so stay tuned!

The problem with playgrounds is that they require having fences built around them. One of the great benefits of this redesign is that it will remove that unsightly chain-link fence and create an open public space that people can easily cut through while walking between 17 Ave and Centre St. The ease with which people can move through the park will help keep it lively and welcoming.

The other problem with playgrounds is that they are almost never used. Aside from the one by Union Square, none that aren't part of a school ever have kids playing there.

The other problem with playgrounds is that they are almost never used. Aside from the one by Union Square, none that aren't part of a school ever have kids playing there.

Do you have kids? Every time we took our son to the Haultain, Thompson Park, East Village, St. Patrick’s Island and Riley Park ones this past summer they were all packed.

Back