General Block | 6.71m | 2s | RNDSQR | FAAS Architecture

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
A small but spicy addition to Bridgeland that hasn't received nearly enough attention. Definitely deserves its own thread. All three CRUs have been leased, all to local shops (Una, Phil & Sebastians, Village Ice Cream), but no word yet on the 2nd floor office space. Both the ARP amendment and land-use amendment were approved in August.

l3lodOiQOPBgZJYbppVz.jpg

k0197FlSk8EeHrj9bEkZ.jpg

fullsizeoutput_3cf8.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, this is great. As I mentioned in the other thread, Village Cream shops are instant vibrancy machines. This place will be rocking in the summer, and generally busy all year.

Yeah the mix of retail in this thing is nothing short of extraordinary for such a small development. Now watch a Makerspace or something moves into the office floor. I would probably actually die.

Lol that's an... odd thing to think... covered parking on the second floor of a two storey development. But yeah, no, it's boutique office space with a mini publicly accessible open plaza at the top of the stairs.

Lol that's an... odd thing to think... covered parking on the second floor of a two storey development. But yeah, no, it's boutique office space with a mini publicly accessible open plaza at the top of the stairs.

You're both right. There's a significant grade change and there is parking in the rear at the second level behind office uses.

I suppose so, though all parking is outdoors

I blame it on Civic Works. That’s what I read recently. Their website mentions nothing of the office portion and makes it seem like it’s only parking and the terrace up there.

General Block is an architecturally-iconic, two-storey building designed to act as a neighbourhood hub with community-focused retail in Bridgeland / Riverside. By extending and seamlessly connecting the building's commercial frontage to a high-quality public realm, General Block activates the adjacent Murdoch Park and introduces a valuable lineup of 'Made in Calgary' businesses to the area.
Embodying a human-scaled approach to architecture and urban design, General Block supports incremental, guided change by maintaining a height and level of use that blends into its surroundings, while bringing real value to the community. The building's form takes advantage of the site's strategic location and unique topography, with elevated parking located atop a rear slope and a transition to a second-level terrace open to the public. Offering places to sit, linger and enjoy sweeping views of Murdoch Park, General Block maximizes opportunities for people to connect and adds further vibrancy to the community's already-rich character as a carefully curated local destination.

Back