Votes: 29 30.9%
  • So So

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
There's a strong likelihood that the grocery store ends up as a regular ol' Superstore rather than the much anticipated City Market.

There's a strong likelihood that the grocery store ends up as a regular ol' Superstore rather than the much anticipated City Market.

What's the real difference anyway? It's the same food suppliers, but I guess City Market has a more Sunterra/Upmarket feel.

I wonder if they will have issues as it's directly adjacent to the Drop In Centre and it was already the primary way for DI residents to make their way through the street until construction blocked the sidewalk. They might have a lot of problems, the same as the Shoppers across from Alpha House.

What's the real difference anyway? It's the same food suppliers, but I guess City Market has a more Sunterra/Upmarket feel.

I wonder if they will have issues as it's directly adjacent to the Drop In Centre and it was already the primary way for DI residents to make their way through the street until construction blocked the sidewalk. They might have a lot of problems, the same as the Shoppers across from Alpha House.

City Market the emphasis is on food, whereas Superstore has a huge section dedicated to household goods, personal care products, Joe clothing, etc. If it is a Superstore then there would be some overlap between what's offered there and what will be offered at Shopper's. There was also to be a dedicate Joe Clothing CRU - so obviously things are undergoing a major rethink.

Smaller, independently owned stores like the neighbourhood grocer before big box.

It probably would have been a city market by name only. The planned store is huge. The development is huge.

From the weekend:
20191116_131831.jpg

If Hines can pull off anything to the level of what is happening in Toronto at its Bayfront Quays, that part of the rift will be an epic place to be a part of.
The Toronto projects in particular underway are designed by Arcquitectonica or 3XN out of Denmark. They too like Westbank have very good taste and high standards of delivery..

Another developer is building the residential.

Hines' 500 Block is very average in design and finish among the major cities. They need to step it up for the East Village. 3XN or any other Danish, Dutch, etc. firm would be a great fit for the East Village. Arquitectonica can leave Canada as far as I am concerned. We have plenty Canadian firms producing their quality of work. Curtis Block may be their best work.

Another developer is building the residential.

Hines' 500 Block is very average in design and finish among the major cities. They need to step it up for the East Village. 3XN or any other Danish, Dutch, etc. firm would be a great fit for the East Village. Arquitectonica can leave Canada as far as I am concerned. We have plenty Canadian firms producing their quality of work. Curtis Block may be their best work.
I don't know what your talking about. They were the development mangers for Eighth Avenue place which has to be one of the best looking towers in our city. They also have a successful portfolio of quality projects across the world.
https://www.hines.com/properties?isSidebarOpen=true&loc=-43.580390855607845|-121.640625|75.93088543216642|141.328125
500 block is a rental project so you can't expect to get a top tier design and finish but it's still a solid tower, although not mass appealing.

I'm not sure what your beef is. They need to step it up for East Village. That implies they are capable of doing it. 500 Block is not good enough. The massing is fine. The architecture and finish is average by Canadian standards. It's too easy to excuse it to budget. Better design doesn't automatically cost more. Talent is a factor. 3XN would be great match as well as other firms in Hines' portfolio/partnerships. Eighth Avenue Place is at the highest tier of commercial space with no expense spared. Who has unrealistic expectations? It's not what I'm suggesting.

I look forward to the day Calgary joins the ranks of Vancouver, Toronto and, Montreal in conversation. I know it will take more than copying the status quo of those cities to reach that desired critical mass to change minds.

Hi Guys - sorry to bust your bubble, but the reason very few residential towers have exceptional design in Calgary is because people are not willing to pay for it. The 3XN projects along the Toronto waterfront sell for $1,200-1,500+ per square foot. Until we see some serious appreciation in property values, I'm afraid you'll have to live with more of the same. IMHO, the quality of residential architectural has already come a long way since the Alura/Nuera, Vetro/Sasso days.

I'm not sure what your beef is. They need to step it up for East Village. That implies they are capable of doing it. 500 Block is not good enough. The massing is fine. The architecture and finish is average by Canadian standards. It's too easy to excuse it to budget. Better design doesn't automatically cost more. Talent is a factor. 3XN would be great match as well as other firms in Hines' portfolio/partnerships. Eighth Avenue Place is at the highest tier of commercial space with no expense spared. Who has unrealistic expectations? It's not what I'm suggesting.

I look forward to the day Calgary joins the ranks of Vancouver, Toronto and, Montreal in conversation. I know it will take more than copying the status quo of those cities to reach that desired critical mass to change minds.

Lol k, apparently having a differing opinion on a forum is called “beef” nowadays.

Hi Guys - sorry to bust your bubble, but the reason very few residential towers have exceptional design in Calgary is because people are not willing to pay for it. The 3XN projects along the Toronto waterfront sell for $1,200-1,500+ per square foot. Until we see some serious appreciation in property values, I'm afraid you'll have to live with more of the same. IMHO, the quality of residential architectural has already come a long way since the Alura/Nuera, Vetro/Sasso days.
Exactly, Calgary doesn’t have the demand or profit spread to justify fancier designs right now . When we were booming we were able to get beautiful office buildings like the bow, Telus sky, etc. Now we have to adjust our expectations and realize Calgary’s one of the weakest real estate markets in Canada right now in terms of price/sales growth. We’ll probably have to wait a bit before we begin getting top notch designed condos. It’s still great to see we’re getting more high rise developments starting in a brutal economy like this, we’re relatively still blessed on the development side of things.

Back