News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Not big exciting news, but I am happy to see a Land Use application submitted for 20th ave NW, to change zoning from R-C2 to M-C2. I've long thought 20th ave should be higher density, and that the recent duplexes that have been going up was a wasted opportunity. I really hope the zoning increase gets approved, it would no doubt spur other developers to do the same.

Last edited:
This type of reaction will be the norm going forward I think. The city wants to increase density in the inner city so they won't have to approve another 14 new greenfield communities, but every time a developer wants to increase density to a level where it will actually be useful, the CA's will oppose it.

Often the CA doesn't really represent the people in it's community, only the handful of members in the CA. I remember members of the community who lived near 17th ave were opposed to zoning increases in that area, yet the CA says they are in support of the increases there, but are against these increases....probably because it's closer to where the members live. I'm glad the commission recommended approval. Hopefully council will do the same. I think R-C2 and M-CG is fine for streets off of the corridors, but it would be a wasted opportunity to limit a corridor like 20th ave to those zones.

That one went to planning commission last week:

Community Association was opposed to it:

But the Commission recommended approval to Council. It will probably be a long public hearing, and interesting to see which way Council goes on it:

Not only going forward, it's also the past, but I bet it's going to get worse going forward with opposition being the CA's default stance. This is where we find out of the city is serious about inner city intensification.
This type of reaction will be the norm going forward I think. The city wants to increase density in the inner city so they won't have to approve another 14 new greenfield communities, but every time a developer wants to increase density to a level where it will actually be useful, the CA's will oppose it.

Didn't know where else to put this, but another re-purposing of a big-box shopping building to an Asian influenced grocery store. A Filipino/Pan-Asian supermarket, Seafood City, is going into Sunridge right across from where Lucky Supermarket moved to. This is where the Fishin' Hole and Sears Home used to be. Didn't get a photo, but I think they are a fair ways along in the refitting process.

You can check out their website if you want to learn more about this supermarket:
Seafood City

Fishin hole is gone now too? We used to take care of the HVAC equipment on this building.

Just checked and Fishin Hole is moving across the street by homesense

The build permits for Sunridge are classified Commercial/Multi Family Project. I can't find anything about adding multi-family residences to the mall. Does anyone else know what this is about?

The build permits for Sunridge are classified Commercial/Multi Family Project. I can't find anything about adding multi-family residences to the mall. Does anyone else know what this is about?

They have changed the land use near the Rundle station to allow for future development of a TOD. This is the master Plan for the area from the city:

Rundle Area Master Plan

Just a fun tidbit, the 2019 Mayor's Urban Design Awards are now happening, and there's a People's Choice category; you can vote on your favourite submitted project. It's a chance to see lots of stuff that is conceptual / un-built still, and is a chance to see stuff that hasn't really been discussed or made public yet... Have a look!

Mayor's Urban Design Awards - Projects

Just a fun tidbit, the 2019 Mayor's Urban Design Awards are now happening, and there's a People's Choice category; you can vote on your favourite submitted project. It's a chance to see lots of stuff that is conceptual / un-built still, and is a chance to see stuff that hasn't really been discussed or made public yet... Have a look!

Wow, anyone know where we can get more details on "New Manchester"? Would love that to go ahead. Apparently it is "critical" for Calgary's future if you believe the brief.

For me the one that needs to happen immediately is the "Municipal Complex Southeast Entrance Accessibility & Street Presence Upgrades"

Back