News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stampede-station-revamp-1.5141417

Wtf ... this looks like a huge step backwards to me. I thought there was talk of raising Erlton station above ground because the traffic in this area gets so bad. Now they want VP Station entirely at ground level with a bunch of crosswalks?

In the below image they show just south of Erlton, the intersection between Macleod and 25th Ave. (just kidding lol it's probably Macleod and 17th.) I speak from experience, this stretch of Macleod is fucking nuts as it is. Driving to Flames games I've waited literally 20 minutes to turn left onto 25th. Getting out after a game is nightmarish. It's at least another half hour of waiting just to turn left off Macleod and go West. And now they have the brilliant idea of putting even more lights and crosswalks on one of the busiest roads in the city?

The study literally admitted, word for word, "northbound and eastbound traffic will see noticeably longer traffic delays due to the construction, and once the project is complete." Wtf??? The problem I have with VP Station isn't that it's elevated. I have no problem with that. I don't see why anyone would. The problem I have is how far of a walk it is from the station to the 'Dome, and this doesn't fix that. When you're walking home with your kids at night surrounded by a bunch of loud drunks smoking weed and cigarettes, that walk feels even longer.

They say the idea here is to open up VP to the Beltline. I'm pretty sure you can do that with an elevated station and pedestrian bridge too, rather than making pedestrians wander across an extremely busy major roadway.

Last edited:
How is that Macleod Trail & 25th? Where's southbound Macleod? There's 4 lanes going north only.

I think that's the new 17th Ave intersection entering Stampede Grounds at grade.

I hope so. The ctrain does cross 25th ave, and runs just east of Mcleod, like they have in that picture. You're right though, it's probably 17th ave. Either way, if they truly want to "connect the Beltline and VP" in the manner they say, through putting everything at ground level, they'd have to cross Macleod somewhere, no? So now they'll have a full intersection with lights at 17th ave and 25th ave? The last thing we need on this stretch of Macleod is "noticeably longer traffic delays."

How is that Macleod Trail & 25th? Where's southbound Macleod? There's 4 lanes going north only.

I think that's the new 17th Ave intersection entering Stampede Grounds at grade.

It is.

Traffic doesn’t back up because of 17th now, and it won’t with this. There are plenty of bottlenecks that limit capacity beyond this point. The traffic system will naturally rebalance.

Having the Greenline will help split up the flow of people as well.

Now if every parking spot on the grounds goes through this intersection it will be awful, but the dome won’t be the primary event venue by the middle of next decade, and most other events don’t generate the same type of crush traffic.

And why should we be prioritizing vehicles anyways? Even today that vast majority of people are walking (whether to vehicles further away, home or another venue), or taking transit, not parking on the grounds during events.

I’m not quite sure why people here are complaining about this project as it relates to the Saddledome. The new arena is presumably to be located near the bus barns. A lot (most?) of the flames crowds will be serviced by City Hall station instead of VP.
I have no problem even if this does slow down MacLeod a bit. It’s a downtown street, not a thoroughfare.
The only thing in those renderings that seems problematic is a lack of barriers/planters/bollards along MacLeod Tr.

I’m not quite sure why people here are complaining about this project as it relates to the Saddledome. The new arena is presumably to be located near the bus barns. A lot (most?) of the flames crowds will be serviced by City Hall station instead of VP.
I have no problem even if this does slow down MacLeod a bit. It’s a downtown street, not a thoroughfare.
The only thing in those renderings that seems problematic is a lack of barriers/planters/bollards along MacLeod Tr.
Actually the lot set aside (as of now) for the new event centre is at 12 ave & 4st. Which is further west and north of the current Dome. Traffic will probably bottle neck north of the stampede grounds. Not sure where Ctrain passengers will access the southbound train.
The new intersection at 17th and Macleod won’t be as crazy during events. 25th & Macleod should be ok too

Last edited:
I hope so. The ctrain does cross 25th ave, and runs just east of Mcleod, like they have in that picture. You're right though, it's probably 17th ave. Either way, if they truly want to "connect the Beltline and VP" in the manner they say, through putting everything at ground level, they'd have to cross Macleod somewhere, no? So now they'll have a full intersection with lights at 17th ave and 25th ave? The last thing we need on this stretch of Macleod is "noticeably longer traffic delays."
Perhaps making it less convenient for drivers will entice folks to use transit more, live closer, and prioritize vehicles less?

Yeah, I can't feel at all sorry for people in environmentally destructive, climate controlled boxes when the proposal is about prioritizing pedestrians. All at the same time making Stampede Park much more connected to the urban fabric and the whole immediate area much less visually hostile.

@MichaelS posted something about this a while back iirc. It seems to me the YWCA parcel was sold to the developer (Great Gulf I believe), and I thought they had submitted a land use application, but it's not showing up on the city's website.

Whatever the case being, it sure looks interesting, the towers are different from anything we've seen in Calgary.

Does anyone know if this project still exists? I was browsing HPA's website and saw this multi-tower development at 5th and Macleod. Maybe it is really old but I dont remember it being mentioned on here in the last year or two I have been browsing this forum.

View attachment 186524

website is here

Last edited:

Back