Kensington Manor | 34m | 9s | Amble Ventures | NORR

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
A DP has been submitted on the former Kensington Manor site. I am not sure if the project is keeping the same name or not, but for now I will label the thread with it:
1693250554171.png

SNORRish

Brick on the lower three levels and potentially 3 retail units on the ground floor is good though. Fiber cement siding on most of the rest is not that great. Appears the big handle will be in alucobond metal.

Will be nice to get that space filled back in and more units online.

No beige? they must have hired a new architect or two.

What's the height of this compared to the old building? Still laughing that the CA is opposing it based on height...
The height was similar to the old one, there wasn’t much difference.

As for the design, It’s no Lido, but it has a warm look and will integrate with the surroundings well.

No beige? they must have hired a new architect or two.

What's the height of this compared to the old building? Still laughing that the CA is opposing it based on height...
The opposition for this one was stupid. There was already an 11 floor building there for years, and the new one is only 9 floors. I don’t know what the height difference is but it can’t be much.

Not really a fan of the pattern on the sides of the building as it reminds me of that cheap looking high-rise apartment reclad downtown. I do like that it looks like it has a 2 story streetwall before it steps back. I think Calgary could use a few more 5-6 story streetwalls in its mainstreet building designs but I'll settle for anything that's more than 1.

Not really a fan of the pattern on the sides of the building as it reminds me of that cheap looking high-rise apartment reclad downtown. I do like that it looks like it has a 2 story streetwall before it steps back. I think Calgary could use a few more 5-6 story streetwalls in its mainstreet building designs but I'll settle for anything that's more than 1.

Designing in three dimensions is hard. Floor plan first, street elevation second, sides (actually more prominent elevation in this context) "just put something and get on to the next project".

The pattern on the side of the building is just so there isn't a big blank wall. They likely can't put windows since they are right on the property line, and the parkade ramp of the building next door means this will be visible.

The pattern on the side of the building is just so there isn't a big blank wall. They likely can't put windows since they are right on the property line, and the parkade ramp of the building next door means this will be visible.

This will be heavily visible on both sides for possibly as long as the lifetime of the finish itself, and anyone's first impression of the building will be of the sides before any other element of the building, approaching from either direction.

To the south, there's a gap between this and the six storey Kensington created by The Beehive building. The building to the north has the parkade ramp separation and is also set back quite a ways from the street further exposing the side.

The Beehive lot is so small that if anything new ever gets built there it wouldn't be much more than a few storeys so much of it won't be obscured.

Kens10thS.png

Kens10thN.png

Last edited:
The old building surprisingly had no windows on the south side, I guess due to fire regulation related to the property line, even though it's not likely anything tall would be built there. The north side had some windows and has the buffer of the parkade, but isn't very noticeable from 10th. The north side I don't care much about, but it would be great to see a mural on the south side.

1693500965439.png

Attachments

• 1693501149312.png
    1693501149312.png
    2 MB · Views: 23

Back