News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Google Earth just updated their Calgary imagery and it's REALLY bad compared to the previous update from last year. The shadows are brutal in this update. Guess we'll have to deal with this until they update it again next year...

awfjwfajo.PNG

It’s not even that recent of an update, about a year old at least (BMO is only a 1/4 built). Disappointing…but I will still stare at it for a few hours lol.

All Google Maps images should be captured at golden hour! Or at least not the harshest mid-day light possible...we have such nice light during the late-afternoons in summer.

And yeah it's definitely about a year old. I can see the trash bin we had in front our house when we were doing renos last summer.

Snapped this photo of a new infill on 20th NW. Not sure I'd make those design choices but to each their own.View attachment 493263
Good god is that the stucco colour? Lol. This is why we need Form and Character Guidelines for a proper DP submission. Then the Development Authority can at least point to some architectural and urban design guidelines so that this shit is unacceptable. This is 100% multi-gen family housing, there is a reason that Surrey had specific guidelines for this to deter absolute trash like this.

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but every time I pass by Fort Calgary, I can't help but think the land could be better utilized. The pathways through there (both cycle and pedestrian) are busy all day every day of the week, but the park is always empty. There is a lot of park space, and I can't help think some of it could be developed. Not all of it, but some of it. Developing some of the area could help fill in the gap between downtown and Inglewood, and allow the possibility of soem retail facing the pathway seeing as the city has missed out on that opportunity in other areas. Thoughts?

1690321211431.png

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but every time I pass by Fort Calgary, I can't help but think the land could be better utilized. The pathways through there (both cycle and pedestrian) are busy all day every day of the week, but the park is always empty. There is a lot of park space, and I can't help think some of it could be developed. Not all of it, but some of it. Developing some of the area could help fill in the gap between downtown and Inglewood, and allow the possibility of soem retail facing the pathway seeing as the city has missed out on that opportunity in other areas. Thoughts?
When some family came to visit this summer, it definitely felt disconnected walking from Inglewood to downtown. There were nice shops on both sides then suddenly train tracks and a parking lot, it makes the walk seem longer than it is. Maybe not the best for permanent infrastructure but not sure why in the summer they don't open for people to hangout/picnic on the grounds with some temporary food vendors.

I know the area is often used for festivals, but I have always thought the area should be planted with trees to create an urban forest for future generations, and mirror St. Patrick’s Island Park.
It would be much better with trees and might get used more. The problem as it stands now, is it's a huge bare section of grass, and not even good quality grass. There's almost nothing useful about it.

What I'd like to see is a few small buildings along the path between Fort Calgary and the pathway, sort of small village of building 1-4 storeys. It could be built and would still leave lots of room for festivals, etc..
The blue areas could be patio space. It would have the potential to be an awesome hangout spot. The pathway from Louise Bridge to Inglewood could become Calgary's version of the San Antonio river path.
1690345711394.png

Last edited:

Back