News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary real estate market

There are tons of those detached black & white $1.1 million infills that are unsold all over the inner city. There's nothing that sets the house in the photos apart from those other than the location (which, to be fair, is nice - quick walk to 19 St, park across the street, and view of the river). It looks like it's probably 1800 sq ft.

I still suspect this price tag is for some different, and much larger, house that is actually on 41 Ave SW in Altadore. I kind of want to contact the realtor to ask, but also totally don't want to talk to a realtor if I'm not buying or selling a house 🙂

As I said the photos (Broadview Rd NW) do not match the listing (41 Ave SW). I don't think they're actually selling this infill for $1.9 million. There's no room for a 3 car garage on the pictured lot anyway.

As I said the photos (Broadview Rd NW) do not match the listing (41 Ave SW). I don't think they're actually selling this infill for $1.9 million. There's no room for a 3 car garage on the pictured lot anyway.
the listing has a 10 metre frontage.

The pictured house is not on 41 Ave SW and does not appear to have a 10 metre frontage. That's what I'm saying, I think this listing (except the photos) is for a nicer, more spacious house on a wider lot. Maybe I'll have to head over to Altadore to see what is actually built on 2028 41 Ave SW.

From the City's development map, if you search 2028 41 Av SW, and turn on the air photo, it looks like there were three infills all in a row under construction there in September 2022 (date of the air photo I think although it might be the 2021 photo still....). Anyway, I do think it matches the house in the listing photos.....
1679087191901.png

From the City's development map, if you search 2028 41 Av SW, and turn on the air photo, it looks like there were three infills all in a row under construction there in September 2022 (date of the air photo I think although it might be the 2021 photo still....). Anyway, I do think it matches the house in the listing photos.....
View attachment 462122
This is from sept 2022, I walk my dog by here sometimes. Detached houses in Garrison Woods are going full cash, site unseen. There are million dollar homes that would make you cringe. But people are spending that kind of money on unrenovated, early 2000's builds.

I mean I know those houses in the photos are on Broadview Rd NW because I've seen that block. You can also look out the front window in one of the photos of the living room or master bedroom, and see a field and the edge of the river valley in the distance, not what you would see on 41 Ave SW (houses across the street).

a2031915-7-045162008c133cad5ef6a582d3d96c06-l.jpg

I suppose it's possible the developer built the same set of houses in both spots, but those houses in the photos are still not 3200 sqft or 3 storey, or (IMO) worth $1.9 million.

Last edited:
Aside from the photos being incorrect, there may be some other discrepancies in the listing. The three car garage, might be in reference to a three car garage for all three homes, and the realtor is stating information that isn't untrue, but is misleading?
Or maybe the three houses were designed such that reach house wasn't guaranteed a garage space, it has to be purchased?

Last edited:

Last month, inventory fell nearly 24 per cent year over year to 2,750 homes, the lowest level since 2006.

That's a pretty low number for a city the size of Calgary.

This is from sept 2022, I walk my dog by here sometimes. Detached houses in Garrison Woods are going full cash, site unseen. There are million dollar homes that would make you cringe. But people are spending that kind of money on unrenovated, early 2000's builds.
Interest rates must still be too low

Interest rates must still be too low
Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not... but inner-city Calgary IS unaffordable to buy a single-family home. Which is fine but there needs to be far more missing middle infill built so those people who want to be in the inner-city can be. And can be in a place that isn't a condo.

I took a photo of the actual 2028 41 Ave SW. looks like there's room for a 3-car garage and 3 storeys. There's a more typical infill on the right for scale.
0BC64975-77D9-4067-81AF-3D1730B2BDE8.jpeg

The higher price makes more sense now, and to be sure it's a beautiful street. But you also have this around the corner and a few blocks down, also on a 10x36m lot, for $1.375m, unsold for 5 months. So I'm still not sure if this will sell for $1.9.

Last edited:
If you don't ask for the big bucks you never get it.

Here is one in Lake Bonavista on a pretty typical block end, on a not as quiet street, which doesn't back on the lake, asking more than $2 million. But it is huge (5092 Sq Ft), with a three car garage.

1679327815862.png

Back