News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Interesting info regarding the point access blocks @CBBarnett . It's a common layout in Europe I've seen plenty of times, but never thought much about in regards to efficiencies.

These pics are from a place I stayed at in Prague recently. A six story building with floors ranging from 4 to 6 units. All accessed by a nice wide, well lit stairwell, and a single elevator.

It's hard to see from this pic, but there are 4 units on this floor. one to each side of the elevator and two facing the elevator. Despite having an elevator I always took the stairs to the 5th floor because it was a nice, bright open staircase, and was surprisingly enjoyable. I can't say the experience is the same for the typical stairwells in our buildings.
1676956248064.png

Top floor penthouse level.
1676956279953.png

Last edited:
Point Access Blocks are pretty common everywhere outside of North America...

View attachment 457761
This is basically just splitting up the gigantic, block-long buildings into smaller chunks. There are other benefits like shared structural, mech, plumbing, elec, and fire suppression systems, as well as not having the insulate the walls between the "chunks."

But this is just the realization that we shouldn't make gigantic corridors if we can avoid it. Turns out the smaller buildings parcels were actually better - who would have guessed?

All accessed by a nice wide, well lit stairwell, and a single elevator.
Single-stair discourse has been all over urbanism twitter in the last couple weeks. I think they're great, but they don't meet our fire safety requirements. I'm sure there's a modified single stair configuration that would work with a modified fire code, where both meet somewhere in the middle.

Here's an article about it that I read yesterday: https://slate.com/business/2021/12/staircases-floor-plan-twitter-housing-apartments.html

Basically, it's attainable in the US if the political will is there - these buildings are legal in Seattle. I'm not sure about here, though.

The article says it's not clear cut whether our dual stairway system actually improves fire safety. However it also mentions that Grenfell Tower had a single staircase, and nobody wants a repeat of that.

Single-stair discourse has been all over urbanism twitter in the last couple weeks. I think they're great, but they don't meet our fire safety requirements. I'm sure there's a modified single stair configuration that would work with a modified fire code, where both meet somewhere in the middle.
A single staircase could be an issue with bigger buildings, but in the case of the one shown from Prague, there isn't even really a way to do two staircases, unless you have an outside fire escape like they used to do back in the day. Personally I'd rather take an outside fire escape over an interior staircase in case of a fire.

The article says it's not clear cut whether our dual stairway system actually improves fire safety. However it also mentions that Grenfell Tower had a single staircase, and nobody wants a repeat of that.
Safety always comes first of course. I think if single stairwells could be limited to buildings of 5 storeys it should be okay. With Grenfell tower being 24 stories, it was an issue waiting to happen.

This is a single city. So, not my point.
This happens to be Harlem, but it could be in Boston, or Philadelphia, or Baltimore, or any number of other American industrial cities in the late 19th century. Tenements and rowhouses went up everywhere with cheap, mass produced ornamentation like artificial stone and sheet metal. People denounced them at the time as cheap and garish.

Anyway, I don't disagree with your larger point. Any cheaply built, mass produced housing is going to look monotonous and often ugly. On the other hand, good urban form is good urban form. You can build walkable, mixed-use neighbourhoods with dirt cheap buildings. In fact, if you look at the kinds of buildings that have the most lively frontages, they are usually pretty modest, mid-rise buildings. The problem with high-rises is that they usually have a lot of wasted space and dead zones at ground level.

The other thing to consider is that history gives buildings their character. The cheap buildings of yesterday are the heritage buildings of today.

monotonous and often ugly
Or simple and elegant. IMO recent iterations in Calgary attempt to inject some 'fun and interesting' elements (outlined squares, random squares of different materials) that really detract from the projects. But this also how I look at it now. Maybe I'll like how it ages and how it adds variety.

A black suit never misses, we don't really dress our mid-rise buildings in black suits.

I think if 5/1s were built to a max width of say... 150-180'' (a little less than the width of August ) and kept its material count to 3 or 4 materials - one of them being brick of any color, they would almost always be a success.

If the building had neighbors on each side, I would be happy with an expensive material on the front, and cheap material on the other three sides. Expensive material like the stone used on these Crescent Heights McMansions, would make for some nice street facing facades. Not necessarily that look, but that material.

1677013535500.png

1677013642986.png

Last edited:
I think if 5/1s were built to a max width of say... 150-180'' (a little less than the width of August ) and kept its material count to 3 or 4 materials - one of them being brick of any color, they would almost always be a success.

If the building had neighbors on each side, I would be happy with an expensive material on the front, and cheap material on the other three sides. Expensive material like the stone used on these Crescent Heights McMansions, would make for some nice street facing facades. Not necessarily that look, but that material.
That’s how some of these cool, modern elegant apartment buildings are done and cities like Toronto or New York. The buildings are built into an existing corridor with neighbors on each side so all the developer needs to do is fund quality materials for one façade. Buildings with no neighbouring structures should also strive for nice facades, but you have a lot more freedom when you're only focusing on the front of the building.

1677014508720.png
1677014549725.png

A single staircase could be an issue with bigger buildings, but in the case of the one shown from Prague, there isn't even really a way to do two staircases, unless you have an outside fire escape like they used to do back in the day. Personally I'd rather take an outside fire escape over an interior staircase in case of a fire.
In places that have this single stair approach to low and mid-rises, it's often that the fire truck is considered the "emergency stairs" either out a window or off a balcony. Countries then add the multiple stair requirements and other safety rules when a fire truck can no longer reach the unit (typically over 5 or 6 floors).

Single stairs v. our 5/1 or interior corridor designs aren't a panacea that solves all problems, but there's logic to explore designs like these as our current approach has limitations too. There's little evidence North American buildings are any safer in fires despite having typically more stairs and interior hallways, but plenty of evidence that interior hallways and less efficient floorplates tend to make larger family-sized units impractical or with lack of windows. In part, these design choices limit affordability and diversity in unit type within low and mid-rise apartments.

A critical part for these complex housing, design, affordability issues to remember - the status quo isn't "free". Many of these standards and design conventions we have today have costs that we can't see because we are used to it. Each of these standards and design conventions may have good rationales in isolation, but together combine to produce less efficient, less livable and less affordable outcomes on a whole. Lots of these rules aren't easily reformed either as there is such low transparency into how they were decided, no clear publicly-visible process on how they can be changed, and myopic siloed thinking by the defenders that "own the rules" in specific issues that tends to reject challenges to the status quo.

It's taken 20 years of advocacy to daylight the pseudo-science and stupidity that is how we decide parking regulations in North America to finally start to move the needle in parking policy. Another classic example is fire truck-defined street widths where the policy in many cities was to make wider streets on the theory to get trucks to emergencies faster, but with limited evidence that street width is the critical factor in response times. The result was "safety" standards that for decades produced wider and more dangerous streets, leading to more pedestrian fatalities, ugly neighbourhoods that cost more, and new storm water issues due to all the extra pavement.

Both the issues above are being challenged here and elsewhere, to better - if painfully slow sometimes - outcomes. Perhaps things like stairways and fire codes could use a little of that same scrutiny.

I think much of that has already been recovered. The operation is called Ecco Recycling. For example, they chip up wooden pallets for use as landscaping mulch, and send the rebar from concrete to the Ezrav facility near Deerfoot and Glenmore. I lived in Douglasdale until 2001 and would take excess clay and soil from my yard there, as well as old fence boards. They would inspect all of it for contamination before accepting it.
Found out more detail on this...

Ecco is proposing to recycle the ENTIRE mound on the site. It is mostly lumber and shingles. The plan is to reprocess those materials into a fuel that can be used by the Lafarge plant in Exshaw ot as feedstock for biofuels. If approved, the timeline is 10-20 years to process the entire mound, after which the site would be offered for redevelopment.

Found out more detail on this...

Ecco is proposing to recycle the ENTIRE mound on the site. It is mostly lumber and shingles. The plan is to reprocess those materials into a fuel that can be used by the Lafarge plant in Exshaw ot as feedstock for biofuels. If approved, the timeline is 10-20 years to process the entire mound, after which the site would be offered for redevelopment.
They posted the boards from the open house on their site as well. The only piece I find kind of amusing is the one where they say it's a "not for profit endeavour" when clearly there's some fairly valuable land they're sitting on if they clean it up.

Back