News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I imagine things will pick up for Edmonton’s core. It’s been a much slower go than in Calgary, but I remember Calgary had a tough go of it 20 years ago and now look at how far Calgary has come!
Ottawa is an interesting case, a lot of high-rises are being built there but a lot of them, probably more than half of them are out in the suburbs.
Outside of Vancouver and Toronto, Calgary has easily seen the best growth for inner core development of any other city. We’ve had lots of room for improvement of course 😉
Ottawa doesn't have a lot of developable land in it's core, and with a height limit the numbers don't really work for new towers. There are a few parking lots and small buildings they could develop though.

Same for Halifax and Montreal, older cities with cores that are pretty much filled in. Calgary has a ways to go, but has done an amazing job in catching up.

A memory refresher of how Calgary used to look like.

Image6.jpg

Ottawa doesn't have a lot of developable land in it's core, and with a height limit the numbers don't really work for new towers. There are a few parking lots and small buildings they could develop though.
Height limits in Ottawa are largely gone now, what remains is protected sightlines for certain heritage buildings i.e. Parliament etc.

Same for Halifax and Montreal, older cities with cores that are pretty much filled in. Calgary has a ways to go, but has done an amazing job in catching up.

View attachment 360603
Mid 80s I’m guessing?

View attachment 360603
Screenshot (79).png

Same view in 2017 (google maps)

Has to be 84 or 85. Suncor (nee PetroCan) is complete, but Banker's Hall hasn't started construction and Eaton's store still stands.
The old pic is too blurred out to tell if BH has started construction or not, but I remember the crane for BH went up just before the Olympics, in late 1987 some time. Eaton's store was still around at the time of the Olympics. It could be as late as spring of 1987, but yes some time after 1985.

I don't disagree, but I think you missed my point. I'm just saying Garden City and high density residential are vastly different things. No one really hated high density residential, especially not Jacobs.
Okay. I see your point now and I agree. My main point was that Jane Jacobs attributes a lot of social ills to urban design, but history has mostly tempered this view in favour of socio-economic and demographic factors. As well, priorities have shifted in an era where an affordability crisis has replaced crime and urban decay as the major issue facing most major cities. To be sure, a lot of what Jane Jacobs said is still incredibly important today (e.g. the importance of adapting rather than demolishing old buildings, walkability, mixed-uses, etc.). However, Le Corbusier's focus on eliminating housing scarcity by embracing modern materials and building techniques is also important today.

My guess is that Winnipeg will see very slow growth when it comes to high rise construction in their core. The city is growing in population but only because of international immigration - and primarily from one country, the Philippines. Not the kind of growth that will drive high rise residential construction in their core. If I'm not mistaken the last few years, their population has grown by less people than the amount of international immigrants, which means they are losing people some other way. either via natural decrease, or established residents leaving the city.
It's reasons like this I could see Halifax potentially overtake Winnipeg in terms of population someday if it handles growth well enough. Obviously not tomorrow but in 50+ years.

It's reasons like this I could see Halifax potentially overtake Winnipeg in terms of population someday if it handles growth well enough. Obviously not tomorrow but in 50+ years.
It's possible that it could happen, but would take a long while given current growth patterns. Over the past 5 years, Winnipeg has grown more than Halifax (Winnipeg +49K vs Halifax 34K), but Halifax did grow more than Winnipeg from 2019 to 2020 11K vs 6K, so who knows, anything is possible. It would be exciting to see a population race with Halifax added to the Wpg/Ham/Que group.

The old pic is too blurred out to tell if BH has started construction or not, but I remember the crane for BH went up just before the Olympics, in late 1987 some time. Eaton's store was still around at the time of the Olympics. It could be as late as spring of 1987, but yes some time after 1985.
Excavation for BH started summer of 86. I remember walking out of Top Gun at the old Palliser Square movie theatre and walking past the site

Back