News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

It is too bad that dead block where the convention centre/ Glenbow is located ... in between the theatre district and the heart of Stephen Ave (Centre St to 3rd St SW). That block is a very poor bridge to the theatre district. Now if they could do something to liven that block then we would have 4 continuous blocks of activity/engagement leading to the theatre district/Olympic Plaza.

The mid-rise project next to Hotel Elam is now under construction. Not sure if there's a thread dedicated to this project (couldn't find it).

With the original fountain it had, and the way the grounds were beautifully kept at first, this thing could be restored to a really beautiful public space on the exterior, and a cool institutional space inside.
26113-91156.png
401313.jpg
I wonder how they got Holly Park and Holly Point
built on that hill? Was that private land or did the City release it later i wonder. Empty in this shot.

"An application for federal funds under the Canada Infrastructure Program was not successful in 2019. "
A new application will be approved once the project is more ready, now that the province is in.

Im really looking forward to how everything on the east end of Stephan ave will begin to shape up in the next 10-15 years. I was living in Montreal this summer and I absolutely adored how vibrant the downtown streets were. This should hopefully be the perfect things to do to bring more energy to that area, And by the time it is done I should be a permanent resident of the city again instead of only 3 months out of the year?.

As per the new arena I recall seeing a video on a design for the interior, I think it was called "The Inverted Bowl" or something along that line. From the way it looked I would be amazed if we had that type of arena in Calgary, it would make it world class and should start to bring back all the concert acts that skip town because of our beloved crap box. Besides that I can only imagine how loud and energetic Flames playoff games would be.

Im really looking forward to how everything on the east end of Stephan ave will begin to shape up in the next 10-15 years. I was living in Montreal this summer and I absolutely adored how vibrant the downtown streets were. This should hopefully be the perfect things to do to bring more energy to that area, And by the time it is done I should be a permanent resident of the city again instead of only 3 months out of the year?.

As per the new arena I recall seeing a video on a design for the interior, I think it was called "The Inverted Bowl" or something along that line. From the way it looked I would be amazed if we had that type of arena in Calgary, it would make it world class and should start to bring back all the concert acts that skip town because of our beloved crap box. Besides that I can only imagine how loud and energetic Flames playoff games would be.
As long as they don't make a saddle shaped roof with a waffle pattern on the ceiling it will be a louder building. One of the things about the Saddledome is the saddle shaped ceiling combined with that waffle pattern you see on the ceiling actually absorbs sound waves and meant to stop sound from echoing. It has some advantages, but it makes for a quieter crowd noise. Calgary fans have often been criticized for being quiet, and maybe there's some truth to it, but a lot of it has to do with the building design.

The saddle shaped roof looks cool from a far and is unique indeed, but one of the pressing reasons why we legitimately need a new event centre is because of the fact that the roof is rotting away from the inside out. The type of rebar they used during construction causes it to rust baldly enough to rust away the concrete from around the individual strips of rebar. Thats the reason you always see people on top of the 'Dome painting the roof white, they're sealing it to assure water doesn't make it into the concrete causing rust.

When you go to a playoff game in the dome it's not at all quiet, I think the business nature of Flames games is a major contributor to the lack of fan noise in there.

Back