News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Does anyone know anything about a 130 unit residential project somewhere on 8 St SW that GWL Realty is planning?
Not a lot of info on it so far, but it's slated for this location across from the CBE building. I looked at the DP some time ago, and IIRC, it's 25 storeys. Pretty average looking tower, very similar to the Myraid proposal.

Last edited:
Happy 2020 folks!
dde5ayfchf94841.jpg

www.reddit.com/user/crossphytsucks/

Strategic is putting 50 of its co-owned properties into creditor protection today. Apparently current projects under development will not be impacted but this could make for a big upheaval in Calgary's real estate scene.

https://calgarysbusiness.ca/breaking-news/strategic-puts-50-calgary-properties-into-receivership/
Looks like this plan has been rejected

The Calgary-based Strategic Group's bid to put more than 50 properties under creditor protection has been rejected — meaning those properties, with mortgages totalling nearly $651 million, will now be placed in receivership.
A decision filed on Dec. 20 by Court of Queen's Bench Justice Karen Horner appointed Alvarez & Marshal Canada Inc. as receiver, denying Strategic Group the opportunity to control those properties while it adjusted course.
Under protection secured in early December under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA), Strategic Group would have been allowed to remain in possession and control their assets.

^ Strategic as we know it will be no longer but that doesn’t mean Strategic won’t continue with their assets that are not part of this. Just the central administrators that were to continue with the protected portfolio will be no longer.

Didn’t realize he was the one shot in his car a few years ago.
That's the guy. I don't know what it was about, but seems he had some enemies, which sometimes happens when you're in charge of their money.

But like Chinook Arch said, Strategic has done good things for us non-investors. Developing that pit in Mission was maybe the biggest. It really helped turn around 4th street.

That's the guy. I don't know what it was about, but seems he had some enemies, which sometimes happens when you're in charge of their money.

But like Chinook Arch said, Strategic has done good things for us non-investors. Developing that pit in Mission was maybe the biggest. It really helped turn around 4th street.

Is that 20/20? It's like 100 feet from my apartment. Very glad it's there.

^ Strategic as we know it will be no longer but that doesn’t mean Strategic won’t continue with their assets that are not part of this. Just the central administrators that were to continue with the protected portfolio will be no longer.
Strategic One will get finished however I have my doubts about Barron Building. Something tells me that they did not have all their financing in place for this. I may be wrong in this thinking.

Back