UPTEN | 121.91m | 37s | Strategic Group

Love that idea.

Wondering if the area could be reconfigured to be more pedestrian oriented :
-change Macleod to be 2 way, 5 lanes partly on top of buried LRT line with the center lane operating contra-flow
-repurpose 2nd street to be two way with on street parking, and wide sidewalks terminating at the Repsol Center (no longer a conduit for Macleod southbound)
Is this in the works? I can't imagine the River's District plan can reach its goal of being pedestrian friendly with Macleod the way it is.

I seriously doubt they will ever change MacLeod to 2 way, that would be a traffic nightmare. The rest of the district can be pedestrian friendly, but this will always be a commuter street I think.

Yeah but so is Centre Street and its nowhere near as nightmarish as any section of Macleod between the tracks and... well... the southern border of the city.

Changing the direction of traffic doesn't do anything - for reference take a look at 5th Avenue west of 5th Street now that it's a two way, or most streets in downtown Montreal as a counterpoint - its all about streetscape: planting, sidewalk width, and most importantly parking.

Agreed, the barriers between the traffic and pedestrian realm are more important in my mind.
Yeah but so is Centre Street and its nowhere near as nightmarish as any section of Macleod between the tracks and... well... the southern border of the city.
Centre Street handles a fraction of the traffic MacLeod Tr does, Centre Street is kinda weird in that regard as it seems like it should be busier.

Even if they leave it one way they need to find ways to slow down traffic on MacLeod in the core. Decrease the width of the lanes, landscaping and maybe even adding on street parking (if it's feasible) would go along way

I seriously doubt they will ever change MacLeod to 2 way, that would be a traffic nightmare. The rest of the district can be pedestrian friendly, but this will always be a commuter street I think.

Not really. Macleod currently has 3 lanes northbound and 1st has 3 lanes southbound. If the Red Line were buried, Macleod could expand to 5 lines, offering 3 in the flow of rush hour. The Macleod underpass at the tracks would likely need to widen to accommodate the extra lanes. The intersection of Macleod and 7th would face extra stress unless the Red Line tunneled under 7th.

This is all a utopian dream as it depends on burying the Red Line. The Macleod underpass will likely require lifecycle replacement soon so that would be the opportunity to widen.

Maybe Macleod could handle the traffic with 4 lanes, with 3 operating contraflow, eliminating the underpass widening requirement.

MacLeod doesn't have any room to expand though, and widening the underpass is a non starter. The Red line will be buried at some point, (and the Blue line will have exclusive use of 7th after), but I seriously doubt the city will ever expand the scope of that project to include changes to MacLeod north of 12 Ave.

Looks like floor 5 of 37 is done and they're starting on the 6th.

Back