Votes: 29 30.9%
  • So So

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
They're still finishing the podium portion, right? I'm totally fine if they wait with the towers until someone knocks some sense into them with the design, but it would be terrible to have a half-done block-sized concrete monstrosity sitting there for the next couple years.

Yes, the podium and the retail within is still going to be finished and come online even if the towers are delayed a few years.

Says retail podium open Dec 2019, east tower early 2020 - not sure if that's updated or not. If it is, east tower should be still u/c.

Located at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Third Street in Calgary, this mixed use development features a 2 storey retail podium totalling 178,000 sq ft below two residential towers totalling 500 units. Confirmed tenants include Loblaws, Shoppers Drug Mart, Olympia Liquor, and Scotiabank. The retail podium will be completed on December 1, 2019 and the 25 storey east tower will be completed in Q1 2020. The 42 storey west tower's completion date is to be determined.

Either way , here's some updated renders. Lots of new retail opening in East Village over the next year or so with this, M2, Verve. Should make this area more of a destination.

5th-3rd_hero_3.jpg

5th-3rd_hero_1.jpg

key:240f4633ec18e0d4ed6b7d9cca03fc85

5th-3rd_hero_2.jpg

Edit - the towers don't exactly look refined. Hopefully, these are preliminary renders.

https://riocan.com/development-portfolio/development/5th-and-third-east-village/

Last edited:
Pretty interesting podium going on here. Lot's of activation at the ground floor will be great for the area. Sincerely hope they don't block out all windows with shoppers advertising graphics. For some reason that tenant is a really bad culprit.

im a belieber in this project, think it should be somewhat of a game changer for the area but considering its a parking garage with two floors above ground it feels like its taking forever. at least with winter coming on i would have thought theyd hurry up and enclose it.

think its known theres a shoppers and a lowblaws or something like that but does anyone know if theres amenities such as bars/restaurants as well?

The confirmed tenants so far are Loblaws City Market, Shoppers Drug Mart, Olympia Liquor, and Scotiabank.

The East Village is building finely grained street front retail. This is a big box service centre. It's a convenient one stop shop for the surrounding neighbourhoods. I hope it's not a game changer in the direction the East Village has taken so far.

I see what you mean, but I don't think that's what he meant. At least the way I took it was that it's a game changer for the East Village in that, once this is complete, it will make the East Village - and indeed the entire downtown core - a fully serviced neighbourhood. This is a sentiment that I have echoed for some time; that once the grocery store is online, I imagine condo sales will pick up significantly. I could even see them completing the masterplan ahead of schedule.

Hi,
We can disagree here, but I keep coming away with the feelings this Project could B doing better then it Currently Stands.. Guess time will tell.

Tnx,
Operater.

I see what you mean, but I don't think that's what he meant. At least the way I took it was that it's a game changer for the East Village in that, once this is complete, it will make the East Village - and indeed the entire downtown core - a fully serviced neighbourhood. This is a sentiment that I have echoed for some time; that once the grocery store is online, I imagine condo sales will pick up significantly. I could even see them completing the masterplan ahead of schedule.

Good points. My concerns are that East Village retail has yet to establish itself and, in fact, will be built out long after this mall is completed. It's seldom that big box and street retail developments support each other over directly competing with one another. It takes a large population which is several decades away.

Just for reference, what constitutes a large population in this context?

Back