News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

This is great news IMO. The west side of the beltline is chock-full of brown brick apartment building is there’s nothing that stands out from the rest. Even the recent Bentall Kennedy project looks like the other brick apartment buildings from the 70s.

Given that it’s Battistella I would expect that it will be something that will add some zest to the west end.

So, I think it is safe to say we now know the location of Batistella's next project:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2018-2275
Good news about Batistella. That's a really good location for a new development.
View attachment 143535

To give a brief history, yes these road widening setbacks (see section 53(1) of Land Use Bylaw 1P2007) date back to the 60s I think. They were intended to add lanes of traffic. So, 5.182m on both sides of Edmonton Trail was intended to add a lane in each direction, making it a 6 lane road. Luckily, not all of these happened (16th Ave through Montgomery is 10.363 on the south side, and the intention is to allow for a 6 lane road eventually and it is still on the books I think).

Since then, the table has lumbered on in existence, without any major reforms unless a major road widenign project was undertaken (16th AVe from 14th West to 6th East for instance). Roads continues to demand it be protected, from heaven to hell, no matter the circumstances. Downtown finally received some compromise, allowing developers to encroach in this space starting at the P2 level of the parkade, and 9.0m above the grade level (so 3rd floor could cantilever over). Any non-city centre development seeking the same relaxation was typically stonewalled. This is why nothing has been built on the north side of 16th Ave since the ARP was passed over a decade ago. Losing 5.182m of your property meant any sort of parkade was just not feasible.

Fast forward, and the new CTP and Complete Streets policies get approved, essentially confirming that we aren't going to widen all roads all the time. However, as seems to be the norm, not all policies/bylaws were updated to reflect these new overarching desires, and the stupid bylawed setback table continued to lumber along. The one positive is, the table protected for wider boulevards, allowing proper room for things like boulevard trees, wider sidewalks and cycling infrastructure. However, this still doesn't solve the problem of inefficient parkades, and developers even offering to build a sidewalk on their parkade, and set the building back with a public access easement, was typically met with a refusal.

Currently, there is a consortium of inner-city developers meeting with City representatives on how to improve the process for redevelopment, making things easier/cutting red tape. I have heard this table is high on their agenda, but not sure what progress has been made on it.

Thanks for this detailed explanation, it's always helpful to understand how the sausage is made. Most people wouldn't even consider something on the surface is seemingly a small and arbitrary rule having such a dramatic impact on our urban form.

I really like east village but kind of agree. The biggest wasted opportunity is the Arris condos.

I believe it was mentioned recently that Arris is being redesigned.

I also agree, though with the caveat that M2 will add a decent bit of visual interest right in the forefront of that view.

What was the last condo to have a curve? Verve almost has one.
These guys were the last,
1448297735-432-MacLeod Exterior - High Quality.jpg

outside of those, there were some from 1979 that were curved.
320_b5fdf1136ea1f267a5caa94ee5386bef.jpeg

Attachments

• 1448297735-432-MacLeod Exterior - High Quality.jpg
    1448297735-432-MacLeod Exterior - High Quality.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 861
  • 320_b5fdf1136ea1f267a5caa94ee5386bef.jpeg
    320_b5fdf1136ea1f267a5caa94ee5386bef.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 840
So, I think it is safe to say we now know the location of Batistella's next project:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2018-2275
There is a big storage container with Batistella written on it on that site as of last week, so I think they will be moving forward quite soon! This is right by my place, not looking forward to the disruptions from the construction, but that's a cost of living in the Beltline.

I'd like to know more about the history of the Oddesey towers. Beside the unique design, they were built just outside the limits of suburban development at the time. Seems like a very bold developer.

Back