News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

17th ave needs a big overdo, It looks outdated for 2018 and not in a good historical way. I can see why everyone is so skeptic when one developer can literally change the theme of 17th to what they find suitable. When I see the future of 17th ave I see it lit up with LED ad boards, friendly podiums etc. like yonge street leading up to the entertainment district with a mix of lowrise/mid rise buildings with some higrise towers set back like the Royal or 1520 proposal. Personally most of the buildings these guys bought I don't feel too attached to, for me they aren't historic enough, when I think of historic I think of stephen ave. I guess it comes down to personal choice. Im sort of excited that something is going to be finally done for 17th ave with such a big commitment but at he same time a little worried the direction they may take the street.

On a more positive note I hope some of their properties include the competing funeral homes by the X92.9 building and maybe that empty block beside centre street. Those dead zones need the most TLC.

17th ave needs a big overdo, It looks outdated for 2018 and not in a good historical way. I can see why everyone is so skeptic when one developer can literally change the theme of 17th to what they find suitable. When I see the future of 17th ave I see it lit up with LED ad boards, friendly podiums etc. like yonge street leading up to the entertainment district with a mix of lowrise/mid rise buildings with some higrise towers set back like the Royal or 1520 proposal. Personally most of the buildings these guys bought I don't feel too attached to, for me they aren't historic enough, when I think of historic I think of stephen ave. I guess it comes down to personal choice. Im sort of excited that something is going to be finally done for 17th ave with such a big commitment but at he same time a little worried the direction they may take the street.

Most of Yonge south of Bloor was bought up by a real estate fund manager, consolidated into large blocks and, sold to developers. Entire blocks are being razed for condo projects with ground floors designed for multiple chain stores. In 5 to 10 years, the street will have evolved from an eclectic commercial street to just another high rise residential street. I'm more concerned with 17th now knowing this wasn't a one time purchase but, a consolidation of properties over a longer term.

Just listened to the interview with Arlington CEO in the article. He mentions turning the 42 individual parcels into 7 buildings between 4th and 14th St. Sounds like he wants 17th to grow up, I like it as long as the design is up to the standard of a proper mainstreet.

Dadbxl1V4AABOoU.jpg

I dont know if anyone bumped into this recent layout by CMLC for the river districts but it gives us a good idea of how the rest of east village could be filled up. Plus that 17th ave news is amazing to know! Wish i was 10 years younger, Calgary will be a beast like any other metro in another 10-15 years once these plans get underway. I really do hope they don't mess up the Entertainment district, its going to be one of those things that define us as a city like Dundas square for Toronto, Times Square in NY or Piccadilly circus in London.

Between ASI scooping up all these low rises, and the Rivers District initiation (8000 residents, 4mm ft2 commercail anticipated), there sure is a lot of density-filling speculation going on right now.

Most of Yonge south of Bloor was bought up by a real estate fund manager, consolidated into large blocks and, sold to developers. Entire blocks are being razed for condo projects with ground floors designed for multiple chain stores. In 5 to 10 years, the street will have evolved from an eclectic commercial street to just another high rise residential street. I'm more concerned with 17th now knowing this wasn't a one time purchase but, a consolidation of properties over a longer term.

ASI had been actively purchasing these properties over the past 4 years, and is typically positioned as a buy-and-hold company.

So you might be onto something.

That’s alright. Any bets on how long they allow it to be free-moving before it breaks or some idiot tries hanging off of it and the city locks it down?

I actually don't mind it that much. I don't see the "hockey player" comparison they're trying to make - feels like a pretty big stretch - but the bird is nice i guess.

O-tac's right though. I've seen far nicer art get treated with a lot less respect.

I don't mind 2 or 3 tall high rises along 17th ave, the rest of the developments in the future should be at most 6 story height limit to help make it feel pedestrian friendly, and if they do choose a to add highrises for high density, they should be setback significantly or built on the backside of the podium like 1520. 17th ave definitely needs a makeover so its best to take change with optimism for the first few developments to see what direction its headed.

I don't mind new development along 17th as long as it's good design. I would like to see that stretch of small houses turned to businesses (between 6th and 8th street) left alone though.
Image6.jpg

What would be great is development in places with drive-thrus and parking lots, or empty lots. It might look like I'm picking on fast food chains, but I'm perfectly okay with some fast food chains thrown into the mix along 17th..... it's the usage of the land and the breakup of the pedestrian realm with cars coming in and out of the parking lot that would be nice to disappear.
Image5.jpg Image4.jpg Image3.jpg Image2.jpg Image1.jpg

Attachments

• Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 963
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 738
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 654
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 657
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 646
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 616
I don't mind new development along 17th as long as it's good design. I would like to see that stretch of small houses turned to businesses (between 6th and 8th street) left alone though.
View attachment 140087

What would be great is development in places with drive-thrus and parking lots, or empty lots. It might look like I'm picking on fast food chains, but I'm perfectly okay with some fast food chains thrown into the mix along 17th..... it's the usage of the land and the breakup of the pedestrian realm with cars coming in and out of the parking lot that would be nice to disappear.
View attachment 140088 View attachment 140089 View attachment 140090 View attachment 140091 View attachment 140092

I agree with you but fear they are targetting those houses and others like them specifically. Also I don’t know if they actually own any of the fast food chains or parking lots. Developers only ever seem to buy interesting and or heritage buildings to bulldoze while leaving empty parking lots next door.

Back