News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

I don't agree with it either, but at least we know why it was refused. If the city is serious about increasing density and vibrancy in the inner city, this is where they have to put their money where their mouth is.
I am not sure 100% if this is why it was refused, this is just my speculation. We will have to wait for the CPC minutes to get the official reason. And I remind everyone it isn't officially refused yet, CPC just makes a recommendation on Land Use, and it is up to Council to make the final decision. Council may still approve this at the July 31 public hearing.

Policies like these are what turned this city into the sprawling mess that it is, and stunted the growth of vibrant, urban neighborhoods. The city is going to have to decide what is the higher priority: enforce the preservation of 1950s-style suburban neighborhoods by preventing mixed-use and mid-rise development, or step out of the way and allow vibrant urban neighborhoods centered around mixed-use, mid-rise main streets to develop.

Motivated by this development and others, the Planning Department is in the process of re-writing that 1980s ARP. However, the NIMBYs have rejected any attempt to open the area up to increased density and commercial activity beyond what the existing ARP allows. So the 2017 version of the ARP may end up looking exactly like the 1986 ARP. Disgraceful.

As a former Torontonian, I never thought I'd actually miss the Ontario Municipal Board.

Keep this in mind the next time you go to vote in a municipal election. While the public gets input on plans, the final decision of approval always rests with Council. If you have elected officials that have the longer term vision and see the merits of a more dense urban form, they should hopefully have the conviction to approve policy plans that are similar, despite what some of the residents say. However, because we live in a wonderful democracy, if we have elected officials that agree with people who want to preserve a certain built form, you will get the policy that does that. Them's the breaks.

Does council ever go against the CPC recommendations?
I am not sure 100% if this is why it was refused, this is just my speculation. We will have to wait for the CPC minutes to get the official reason. And I remind everyone it isn't officially refused yet, CPC just makes a recommendation on Land Use, and it is up to Council to make the final decision. Council may still approve this at the July 31 public hearing.

You mean the new one on the NW corner of 4th and 17th, immediately south of the Rose & Crown? that's just filler to me, more about what goes in it that the building itself. More retail on that stretch of 4th is a good thing though, that street starts to die as soon as it crosses 17th.

Eau Claire park reno
2017 June 27 178.JPG
2017 June 27 180.JPG

Attachments

• 2017 June 27 178.JPG
    2017 June 27 178.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 496
  • 2017 June 27 180.JPG
    2017 June 27 180.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 465
You mean the new one on the NW corner of 4th and 17th, immediately south of the Rose & Crown? that's just filler to me, more about what goes in it that the building itself. More retail on that stretch of 4th is a good thing though, that street starts to die as soon as it crosses 17th.

Yes, that is the one I was referring to alright. I understand what you mean however filler shouldn't be used on a corner lot that is so visible from one of the most vibrant streets in Calgary. They have struggled to get tenants and the ones that they did manage to fill include a Flight Centre and a cheap middle eastern food place. I imagine the architectural quality of the building didnt help.

I doubt retailers care much about how the building looks, it's prime retail space on one of the best corners of the city. The economy and long pending utility work are the likely drivers in my opinion.

Welcome retrofiturbanism! Looking forward to your posts.
Hey all, Fusili from SSP here. Looks like I'm joining Skyrise Cities (sounds really close to Cities Skylines, which I play way too often now), because SSP is a total dumpster fire. Looking forward to constructive discussions on construction, development and city building.

So..... cupcakes?

Hey all, Fusili from SSP here. Looks like I'm joining Skyrise Cities (sounds really close to Cities Skylines, which I play way too often now), because SSP is a total dumpster fire. Looking forward to constructive discussions on construction, development and city building.

So..... cupcakes?

Atta Boy! I just joined Skyrise Cities too. I was from SSP and the level of discussion was still on a downward trajectory.

Back