News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I'm starting to get really worried that the UCP could intervene should council decide to pass this.
Smith said on this particular vote they will not intervene.

I believe her as if council passes this, I think she gains politically from by doing nothing, particularity with Nenshi likely facing off against her and the possibly of political parties in municipal elections.

They won’t do anything. This government has People’s party rhetoric with centre-right conservative actions. Sovereignty act? Nothing. Carbon tax on home heating? Oh we can’t intervene (true but never tried) and here’s some more gas tax! Austerity budget? One of the larger spending increases in recent years

Well they can try if they want. But it’ll get dragged out in courts and in the meantime things can get built.

Plus it’ll further piss off calgarian and albertan voters.
Why intervene when Council's approval rating is one of the lowest in Calgary history. The Mayor and most Councillors will be gone next year.

Saw this in a budget summary on CBC:

Taxing vacant land?
As part of its push on housing, the federal government also says it's looking at vacant land that could be used to build homes.

It's not yet committing to new measures but the budget says the government will consider introducing a new tax on residentially zoned vacant land.

The government said it plans to launch consultations on the measure later this year.

Wonder if this would include parking lots? Which i guess technically are not vacant.
I’m all for a vacant land tax, but not if it’s through the federal government. Unless they plan to take the tax and give it back to the municipalities of where it came from.
Also rather than the city put the tax into general budgets I’d want to see the money go towards projects to make the land useful while it’s vacant. Parks, basketball courts, Pickleball courts, etc.. maybe a neighbourhood outside movie theatre.
Either that or pool the tax money together toward buying vacant properties converting them into affordable housing.

Why intervene when Council's approval rating is one of the lowest in Calgary history. The Mayor and most Councillors will be gone next year.
The mayor likely will be gone, but outside of Chu and Wong, I bet the other councillors will be reelected. Chu will be gone for sure, Wong will be if that ward doesn’t vote split like last time.

I noticed there was some soil testing being done on the SE corner of 4th st and 16th ave NW. I'd love to see something get developed there, it's been an empty lot for years.

Back