News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Calgary Transit

Transit continues to post strong numbers, 21% increase over 2023 Q1 and a new all-time C-Train record, ~8.8 million boardings on the LRT in March 2024. Awesome to see.

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/record-breaking-ridership-marks-calgary-transits-success-in-q1-2024/
This is great to see especially considering so many downtown workers are hybrid, or work from home completely these days. It would interesting to see where the travel patterns to/from are. If less people are working downtown, is the system trending away from being mainly a downtown commuter rail system, or more of a general rail system.

Also a question for those in the know. Do these numbers estimate those who are riding the free fare zone, as well as those who use the system without paying, or are these paid ticket numbers only?

I believe the number is all inclusive
Free Fare Zone ridership is trending ~850k per month so about 10% of the CTrain ridership
On that how do they know this exactly? Do they just have sensors on doors that just count how many people enter a train? Taking this a step further, do we know which stations are the busiest in the system in March 2024?

Transit continues to post strong numbers, 21% increase over 2023 Q1 and a new all-time C-Train record, ~8.8 million boardings on the LRT in March 2024. Awesome to see.

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/record-breaking-ridership-marks-calgary-transits-success-in-q1-2024/
Great news, though the article wording is a bit confusing. It talks about 8.7 million Ctrain boardings in March but mentions ‘transit’ had 25 million boardings for the quarter. I’m assuming the 25 million for the quarter is for ctrain?
Does anyone know the numbers for all transit (busses and ctrain)?

Great news, though the article wording is a bit confusing. It talks about 8.7 million Ctrain boardings in March but mentions ‘transit’ had 25 million boardings for the quarter. I’m assuming the 25 million for the quarter is for ctrain?
41.4 million boardings but 25.5 million estimated actual ridership (trips?) for bus and CTrain combined in Q1. I don't know how they figure out ridership from the boardings but it might be connected to ticketing.

It's a bit confusing because in Q1 there were:
  • 24.7M LRT boardings
  • 16.7M Bus boardings, for a combined total of
  • 41.4M total boardings. But there was also:
  • 25.5M total ridership.
The first two are long-standing metrics, because it's easy to count how many people board vehicles using electric eye type sensors; automatic people counters (APCs). But some real trips -- e.g. someone going from home to work downtown - involve multiple boardings; maybe a boarding of a feeder bus, then a second boarding onto an LRT train, even though the person is trying to make one trip. The ridership estimate is a measure of people actually making trips. I'm guessing it's enabled by the increased use of app-based fares, which would give CT more information about who gets on where.

The link whatchyyc posted above has more data; both more detail for the last few years and the long term trend.

1715412454706.png

Note that over this time frame, the city added probably 400,000 or so more people, so it would be shocking if - sans pandemic at least - we weren't setting records.

Here's the trend line for total boardings (rather than splitting it by vehicle type), but adjusted for changes in (CMA level) population and employment; note they start in lockstep but the 2015-16 bust means that ridership drops relative to (stable) population more than it does to (declining) employment.
1715413489285.png

Attachments

• 1715413358728.png
    1715413358728.png
    71 KB · Views: 1
41.4 million boardings but 25.5 million estimated actual ridership (trips?) for bus and CTrain combined in Q1. I don't know how they figure out ridership from the boardings but it might be connected to ticketing.

Agreed, it must be connected to ticketing somehow, but the only way I can think of to connect one rider to more than one boarding is via the app. If a person paid cash or bought from a ticket machine I don't know how it connect to a rider. Maybe the vast majority are now paying by app? I know when I've taken the bus, every single person I've ever seen has paid using the app and scan code.

If less people are working downtown, is the system trending away from being mainly a downtown commuter rail system, or more of a general rail system.
100% it’s changing from a suburban commuter train system. I’ve been regular user of the trains for 30 years and I’ve seen it changing, specially over the last 10 years give or take.
Station numbers would probably back this up, but my observations are two things in particular.
- 30 years ago the trains were mostly empty during non-peak hours and were exceptionally busy during rush-hour. Whereas today they are busy all day long and even into the evenings.
- Far more people are getting off and on at closer in stations like Sunnyside, Bridgeland, Chinook or Lyons Park, etc. back in the early 90s, the blue line train would be packed full of people from the north east and would stop at Bridgland and maybe one person gets on the train. Today those stations are always busy. I’d like to see Chinnook’s numbers, I bet it rivals the busyness of some of the downtown stations.

Back